Author Topic: New Mercedes-Benz Parts supplier  (Read 2655 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
New Mercedes-Benz Parts supplier
« on: July 07, 2020, 22:43:10 »
Hi folks,

Just came across this relatively new company; used to have different branding and ownership, but now they are this:

https://mbzparts.com

Don't know them, and have not dealt with them yet, but just heard about them today.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: New Mercedes-Benz Parts supplier
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 12:53:49 »
i have heard about them and have contacted them about parts for my 300D about replacing the rubber boots on the axles and for a switch cover for a dash panel.

I was turned off when i asked about a used switch cover that normally runs less than $1 new (when available) they wanted $15 each  and when i balked at the price all of a sudden there was a minimum order charge of $15.

I ended up buying a used panel with 3 blank off covers for $45 off ebay.

I will stick with my normal suppliers K&K, Authentic classics , vintage euro, mb classic center and auto haus Arizona where i don't feel like i am getting nickel and dimed for my business.
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 13:37:22 »
i have heard about them and have contacted them about parts for my 300D about replacing the rubber boots on the axles and for a switch cover for a dash panel.

I was turned off when i asked about a used switch cover that normally runs less than $1 new (when available) they wanted $15 each  and when i balked at the price all of a sudden there was a minimum order charge of $15.

I ended up buying a used panel with 3 blank off covers for $45 off ebay.

I will stick with my normal suppliers K&K, Authentic classics , vintage euro, mb classic center and auto haus Arizona where i don't feel like i am getting nickel and dimed for my business.

These kinds of pricing differentials have been around with every supplier, like forever. When I started working on my restoration back in 1999, I made a long list of parts I needed, and contacted a number of [then] well known suppliers. The Classic Center didn't exist at that time in the USA. Tom Hanson was working at the MB dealer in Anaheim Hills. Some of the better known parts suppliers barely would give me the time of day. Miller's on the other hand, was responsive, almost over the top. Nobody worked with me like Mike Ochoa (and he's still there by the way) at Millers. He went over the list, and then told me for a number of things "Well, if you are replacing X you will also need Y and Z". Or, "Don't bother with X, it's not for your specific car", and many more little details like that...

...and that's why I spent tens of thousands in parts with Millers to restore my car.

FWIW a number of those parts suppliers contacted back then are gone.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hansr433

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Italy, Tuscany, Torrita di Siena
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 14:23:05 »
These kinds of pricing differentials have been around with every supplier, like forever. When I started working on my restoration back in 1999, I made a long list of parts I needed, and contacted a number of [then] well known suppliers. The Classic Center didn't exist at that time in the USA. Tom Hanson was working at the MB dealer in Anaheim Hills. Some of the better known parts suppliers barely would give me the time of day. Miller's on the other hand, was responsive, almost over the top. Nobody worked with me like Mike Ochoa (and he's still there by the way) at Millers. He went over the list, and then told me for a number of things "Well, if you are replacing X you will also need Y and Z". Or, "Don't bother with X, it's not for your specific car", and many more little details like that...

...and that's why I spent tens of thousands in parts with Millers to restore my car.

FWIW a number of those parts suppliers contacted back then are gone.

Amen!
Parts prices always have been all over the map, and sometimes just don't make sense.  I suppose it depends how the seller acquired his stock or how good a repro part is made.  There are suppliers who make good looking repro parts which they sell at a good price, but they might not fit right.  Just try getting your money back.  I have drawers full of new junk parts which I could not return from my BMW restorations.  So find a supplier whom you trust and work with them.  Everyone has to eat and good advice and good parts at a fair price are in the end priceless.

Hans
1963 220SE Cabrio (Exterior: Navy MB 332, Top: Haarz Navy, Interior: 482P Sahara Beige)
1963 BMW R69S

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 18:33:55 »
Amen!
Parts prices always have been all over the map, and sometimes just don't make sense...

I'm reminded of something that happened during the restoration of my car, which took place at a firm (now gone) called Precious Metal Restoration in Grand Rapids, MI. It had started basically as a 190SL restoration house by one who was quite well known in the 190SL crowd at that time, Rich Splaine. Rich sold the business to one of his body guys, and that's when I brought my car there.

ANYWAY there were a number of 190SLs in the shop some awaiting restoration, some looking much like barn finds. One was waiting on a new right fender, but the new left fender was there waiting for all the parts to arrive. The right fender eventually became in stock at a price about 2x of that of the left fender. How does that make any sense?

Well, Mercedes-Benz at some point in the past had contracted for a run of R + L fenders, and they were priced according to their formula. When after X years, the right fenders ran out, they re-contracted for a run of R fenders. That, being years later commanded a new cost, and thus a new price to the consumer. The fenders that had been in stock had the old price.

Honestly you never know what and how things happen...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 22:05:35 »
Hi folks,

Just came across this relatively new company; used to have different branding and ownership, but now they are this:

https://mbzparts.com

Don't know them, and have not dealt with them yet, but just heard about them today.

I posted this a while ago, and just found out today that this company won the "Marshall Silver Star Parts Auction" held in/at Oakland, California, in late July.  For those that didn't see my post on that auction, it was a massive collection of cataloged parts for vintage Mercedes-Benz, so massive that when I spoke with the auctioneers, I told them there were basically just a handful of people who might be able to buy this (people like the Classic Center, Kienle, and a few pars suppliers). mbzparts was the winning bidder.

With a bang of the gavel they went from "Who are they?" to "We are one of the largest stocking distributors of used, NOS and related restoration parts for vintage Mercedes-Benz". They'll be keeping most of the parts in California and hope to open a distribution center there early next year.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 15:42:57 »
Interesting.
Wallace
Texas