Author Topic: 1968 280SL 4-speed, Highly Original, Rare Colors 35,457 miles - SOLD  (Read 3181 times)

Jeff E

The car has been sold. Thanks for your interest.

Stunning unrestored 4-speed in striking two-tone Silver Grey with Dark Blue hard top and wheel covers.  Blue soft top and Blue MB-Tex interior.

Known history from new.  I am the 3d owner.  In my family since April 1969.  35,457 miles.  All numbers match.  Always properly maintained.  Ready to drive and enjoy.

A great find for the collector who values originality.  MBCA Silver Star certificate for originality and functionality in 2019.

One respray of the silver; notches smoothed. Blue paint is original.  All original drivetrain, sheet metal, tops, chrome, carpet, wood, upholstery, Becker Europa TR, glass, wheels, spare tire, tools, undercoating, manuals  Located in Arlington, VA

Hundreds of photos available to serious parties upon request.

Seller’s representative is Pete Engel (Technical Chairman for the Mercedes-Benz Club of America, Greater Washington (DC) Chapter).
Please contact Pete at 678-630-6137 or harrdware@gmail.com

Thanks.  Jeff
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 19:15:02 by Jeff E »

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Since you state that your car is a highly original car it would be a benefit to this website to provide all your photos for documentation. Maybe use Google Drive or dropbox, etc.

BTW,  what is the VIN #?

Good luck on your sale
👍
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Jeff E

Thanks for your message!

We are providing a link to a Google Drive to those who are genuinely interested in purchasing the car.  For restorers looking for reference photos, I'm happy to provide specific photos, if I have them,  to help answer specific questions.

SN is 113 044 10 002759.  May 1968 build.  September 1968 delivery to  original owner.  Purchased April 1969 by my uncle.

Harrdware

Greetings all, I am the Technical Chairman of the MBCA- Greater Washington Section, for several years. I am assisting the owner of this stunning silver Pagoda with marketing the car. I spent some time with the car in 2019 when judging it for the MBCA Silver Star Preservation Award, which of course, it passed with flying colors. I can say that it is rare to see such an all-original, well-preserved time warp of a car such as this one. Other than the late 1990s repaint to the silver exterior, the car's surfaces are all original. The car still has the original spare tire & wheel, along with the tool kit. All major components show matching numbers, as far as I can see. This is a very original, straight, and correct car - a great platform to start with, to prep for major tours, or perhaps, with further detail, to take to the national Concours level.
The owner has some documents covering their over 50 years of family ownership, but not a ton - with only 36,000 miles, there was little service needed.
The original MB Data Card is attached for review.
The car has even compression on all cylinders and checks out well, mechanically. The owner drives it around locally to keep it in good running order while storing it in his garage. However, having original parts from 1968, a new owner should consider going through the car mechanically, before expecting long-distance, trouble-free performance from the over 50 year old components.
The owner has prepared a portfolio of over 200 detailed photos, in possible preparation to market the car on a national auction platform. This would be available to interested parties who PM me directly with their email address. The owner would prefer a private sale, to an enthusiast such as a member of this group, over a national listing. 
Thanks, Pete Engel - "Harrdware"
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 16:01:35 by Harrdware »

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Suggest you blank out 16/17/18 on the data card - those are the key codes
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Harrdware

Thank you Johnny B

Harrdware

Thanks for the inquiries everyone, the car has been sold!