Author Topic: Soft Top Straps from Authentic Classics  (Read 1144 times)

DaveinOC

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Anaheim
Soft Top Straps from Authentic Classics
« on: July 02, 2020, 17:46:26 »
I don't know if anyone else has purchased the soft top straps from Authentic Classics, but I did and I am not sure which end goes toward the front. One end is plain nylon and the other has some soft lining for about a foot. I called them but he didn't know either, and offered to check with his supplier, but I intend to install the top this weekend. Barring any response I'll guess the lined end goes towards the front.
1966 230SL

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Re: Soft Top Straps from Authentic Classics
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 19:59:49 »
I did mine a few months ago.
A couple of caveats -
I bought the straps from mrfatboy here - they were perfect - so I can't comment on those from Authentic Classics. But the padded portion went toward the back, soft side up.
Another thing is my car is a late 280, so I can't comment on all the differences for a 230 - there are a few, I know.
One little detail which I didn't do is to pre-assemble the top (lightly tacked on) and erect it with the straps attached only at the front, and just hand-placed in position across the frame arches toward the back. That way you can line up the frame pieces with the seams in the top, and then mark the correct locations for the straps to mount on the frame. Then take everything apart and attach/glue the straps to the frame. Otherwise you could end up with the frame not precisely lining up with the soft top seams. Ask me how I know ;)
Good luck!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 23:24:16 by GM »
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Re: Soft Top Straps from Authentic Classics
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 23:35:35 »
Here are pictures of the ones I sell. They should help with your installation.  Mine also come with the rivets for the cross bar toward the front.

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=29864.0
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 00:27:24 by mrfatboy »
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed