Author Topic: 1965 230 SL Water Pump Pulley Spacer  (Read 904 times)

McBenz

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, CELINA
  • Both car and owner from Stuttgart
1965 230 SL Water Pump Pulley Spacer
« on: July 02, 2020, 05:01:28 »
I'm having some questions about how my SL is set up. I've removed the condenser etc. of an old aftermarket A/C unit that we had installed in the early 80's ( just never really works well enough). As I replaced the water pump and other cooling parts, I am wondering if the Water Pump Pulley spacer  (original P/N 108 205 0026) is still needed. The bolts that hold the fan clutch assembly were quite long. (Had to get advice on the correct length), but now due to the spacer, the bolts are too short (16 mm vs. 40 mm). I deduct that the spacer is intended to allow a wider pulley to accept additional A/C belt set-up. Are the standard bolts short to hold a normal 1 row pulley? And my longer bolts to hold the 3 row pulley that was added for the A/C conversion? Can I mount the 3 row directly to the new water pump (short version, 4 hole) and use one of the rows for the water pump/alternator/drive belt????? I had moved the alternator to its lower position and used a standard bracket (removed the gigantic and heavy alternator and compressor bracket that was from the 80's.

I'd like to bring it back to the set-up in which it left from the factory.
1965 230 SL (Family Owned Since June 1965)
1974 Porsche 914 2.0L
2000 LX470 100 Series LandCruiser

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
Re: 1965 230 SL Water Pump Pulley Spacer
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 07:03:23 »
Sure you can use the triple groove pulley for the water pump but you don't need it. In your previous AC setup 2 of The grooves were used just for The AC compressor. The important thing is to familiarize yourself with the belt arrangement (see engine section in the Tech Manual) and get your pulleys in proper alignment. Hang on to those AC parts including brackets and pulleys since people are out there adding AC to their cars.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic