Author Topic: modifications of Becker Radio  (Read 5063 times)

SEB

• Silver
  • Germany, Berlin, Berlin
modifications of Becker Radio
« on: June 28, 2020, 12:46:42 »
Gentlemen
I purchased this nice Becker Europa radio in order to use it as a base for some modern modifications- like Bluetooth or USB connection for storage external music, etc.
Does anybody has some experience with such modifications? What is possible and how I can do this?
How I can improve the sound ?
Thank you in advance for any hints or links.
Sebastian
Sebastian
1967 250 SL, 4 Speed, Euro spec, Tunis beige (462H),

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: modifications of Becker Radio
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 13:28:56 »
In any of this type of old M-B car radios, now some 50 years old, the electrolytic capacitors all need to be exchanged.
See Aaron's useful posting: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=30501.msg221059#msg221059
One can in conjunction then modify the unit to function in wider FM band and of course have connection to smartphones etc.

Talk to for instance Königs https://www.koenigs-klassik-radios.de/
There are several other vendors!
You can use your nice Becker as a trade in
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 13:38:12 by mbzse »
/Hans S

SEB

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 14:15:50 »
Many thanks Hans!
Aarons post motivated me to publish this one. As far I remember there were a lot of information technical information to enlarge the scala etc.

My idea is more in this way- left the frame, put out the old inside and put inside modern solution. Made some one here such case?

BTW- I visited also the web side of Königs Klassik Radios- but could find there only parts or original Beckers.
Sebastian

DouglasJFraser

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 21:12:18 »
You can also look at Chrome London for upgraded Beckers

SEB

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 09:56:55 »
Douglas many thanks for this interesting indication, but I have already two working condition Becker radios, so I do not need to purchase another one. Especially, that in Germany you can purchase such Europa model in working condition for ca. 300 Euro.

My question was in witch way you can upgrade such radio to modern standard. I found on EBay for instance- some Bluetooth 5 upgrades as one example.

Sebastian

Peter

• Silver
  • Netherlands, North Brabant, Helmond
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 11:09:19 »
Do you have the DIN connector on the radio?

Then you can easily connect a Bluetooth module with DIN e.g. the AMPIRE Bluetooth Receiver BTR200. Via your mobile phone you can than also stream radio (from al over the world) or your own music.

Works very good!

SEB

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 17:08:28 »
Peter! Thank you very much! I know the different Becker radios only form the front side.
Below is a photo of this Becker Europa radio one, what I purchased for the upgrading modifications. But I think, that in hands of experienced professionals it should be not a problem to merge the two systems.

BTW- May I ask you about your photo on your ID in this forum? I invested recently in a inheritance of 50 Mercedes engines (200D-6.3), so I am sensitive in this subject and a start a project in Berlin with the mission go dawn with the prices for Mercedes classic rebuild engines.

Sebastian

Peter

• Silver
  • Netherlands, North Brabant, Helmond
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 18:30:38 »
Behind the plastic cover you find the DIN connector. Depending if it is a stereo or mono radio you have to use a different DIN connector. The connector has also a switch to switch between the radio and Bluetooth. As mentioned, via the Bluetooth you can stream your Mobile phone with music or web-radio.

Pls check also:
https://www.youngtimerradio-shop.de/epages/61037185.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61037185/Categories/MP3/MP3_Adapter

https://www.youngtimerradio-shop.de/epages/61037185.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61037185/Categories/MP3/Bluetooth 

SEB

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 08:02:30 »
Peter! Many thanks for your information and this links! It is really a very interesting site- with a lot of good items, what you can use for such upgrading.
Sebastian

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 02:52:47 »
Peter,
it appears that you have this bluetooth module attached to your Becker (stereo?). Is it still functional? I wonder what the lifetime is in such a bouncing environment is.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)