Author Topic: Loose gear lever  (Read 1568 times)

sgp

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Miami
Loose gear lever
« on: June 21, 2020, 18:25:56 »
Hi guys,

Need your help. My 250sl 1967 is having an issue with its automatic gears. The car turns on fine but then when I went to put it on reverse the whole gear lever is simply loose.  It doesn’t go into any gear. Any clues of what it may be?

Thank you!

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
Re: Loose gear lever
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 18:37:44 »
Hi SGP,
The linkages between the auto gear levers as well as the manual levers have nylon bushes which don’t last for ever. Eventually they start breaking up, disintegrate and fall apart and you have what you describe.
Apart from being a nuisance not being able to select the correct gear, or driving the car, it is not a big deal.
These nylon grommets are available and once replaced, your SL will feel like a brand new car.
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

sgp

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 18:54:10 »
Thanks Chris! I will look into it, do you think that changing the nylon grommets is something I can do myself? My transmission oil is also very low so I will also change it.

Thanks again!

Bob G MN

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, MN, Stillwater
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 22:03:49 »
Yes it's probably the grommet.  There are actually 2 of them.  There is a tool to push them in but you can also do it with a pliars although that is not as easy.  Also put the new grommet in hot water as that helps get it through the hole.

Mike K

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • South Africa, Gauteng, Johannesburg
    • Mike Kirkinis
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 13:47:17 »
Agree with what Bob said above, re hot water & flat nose pliers. I also added some liquid soap to the bushings, it took a couple of minutes to do the job without the tool.

I subsequently bought the tool for next time....
Feb. 1971 Mercedes 280SL Auto  LHD (Last of W113 Series)
Aug. 1989 Mercedes R107 300SL RHD (Last of R107 Series)
http://michali.zenfolio.com
http://www.lebombo-safaris.com