Author Topic: how to remove compensating spring  (Read 1299 times)

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
how to remove compensating spring
« on: June 19, 2020, 20:15:45 »
I've been asked how to remove the compensating spring without using clamps or any special equipment. I'll try again.

On the right-hand end of the spring, you will see a fixture that holds the spring in place. This will be the part you will want to concentrate on.

Raise the back of your car or lift it on a hoist so that the axles are hanging down so that some of the spring tension is released.  I usually remove the shock absorbers so that as much compensating spring pressure is removed as is possible.
On the right-hand spring retainer, you will notice a triangular area with a round disc just to the left of the triangle. The round disc is shaped with a pocket on the back side which you should be able to clearly see. Covering part of this pocket is a metal tab about an inch high. Slip your hooked bar into the pocket and lift up a bit until it contacts the back side of the tab. Loosen both of the retaining screws on the spring retainer but only remove the outer one while applying an upward force on the bar and then you can let the spring expand until loose. The spring will compress easily using moderate force with your hooked bar during installation. It's actually pretty easy to do.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
Re: how to remove compensating spring
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 10:28:37 »
Thanks Dan.  What you wrote before in another thread inspired what I attempted, but reading this I'm pretty sure I didn't do it right.  I think maybe I see what I did wrong.  Let me look again and maybe get a few pictures.

In the mean time, one question.  When the pry bar is in place and engaged with the tab and you are about to apply force to it, is it more or less horizontal/parallel to the right axle?  Or is it vertical and perpendicular to the axle?
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 11:53:19 »
As per Joes instructions years ago,( I do not have my written instructions  in front of me ) you follow what Dan has stated.
But the MOST IMPORTANT thing I have found out after removing 3 springs is:your head must be behind the rear end facing  the front of the car.
Because when the spring lets go (and you do not have control of the spring) it flies out to the right towards the right rear wheel.
This happened to me on my first try and my head was near the rear wheel and the spring came close to my head.
Extremely dangerous. So keep your head away from the spring.
Tom
71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1931 Model A Ford Roadster
1997 Corvette C5

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 04:38:07 »
As per Joes instructions years ago,( I do not have my written instructions  in front of me ) you follow what Dan has stated.
But the MOST IMPORTANT thing I have found out after removing 3 springs is:your head must be behind the rear end facing  the front of the car.
Because when the spring lets go (and you do not have control of the spring) it flies out to the right towards the right rear wheel.
This happened to me on my first try and my head was near the rear wheel and the spring came close to my head.
Extremely dangerous. So keep your head away from the spring.
Tom

That's why you use a pry bar. One with a hook is best. The bar will be pointing down at about a 45-degree angle. Once you loosen the two retaining screws for the spring bracket you will be able to use the leverage of your pry bar to lift up enough to remove and tension that would be against the outer screw. Release the spring pressure and it will pretty much fall out on its own. The spring will not hurt you doing this carefully.

I have to believe that MB istalled this part so that their dealers, who all knew how to do this job, could make people believe that it was the job from hell. It works like 10 men.   
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC