Author Topic: 230sl with 280 upgrades  (Read 2116 times)

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
230sl with 280 upgrades
« on: June 08, 2020, 17:28:13 »
Hello
I have been searching this site and MB site about this question: What affect on 230SL car value does switching to a 280 engine, fuel tank, brakes, oil cooler. I thought it would lower the value, but some of the posts on this site seem to indicate that this might be positives.
My thought is to keep the car as original as possible with a 280 engine, including using the older intake manifold and valve cover (if possible). What percentage (plus or minus) would this have on car value? For sake of argument lets say Hagerty #3 at $41,000?
thanks
Leonard

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: 230sl with 280 upgrades
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 19:15:40 »
Hello and welcome. Tell us more about your car!
I'd guess that as a driver, and at that price point, you're looking at "value" being in it being the best possible driver - solid, not rusty, running gear working as it should, comfortable and reliable. If today it has the original block, great. If it doesn't, then do what you need to do to make it a driver. Some argue the later engines are stronger. Others that the earlier are peppier. I've heard no-one complain about the drum brakes for most purposes, for example. While "matching numbers" isn't as big a deal as with some cars/makes, a 280 in a 230 is going to hit value harder than whether the rocker cover/manifold or whatever looks like a 230 or not. Most folk neither know nor care (unless you misrepresent...)

if the car has the original bits (block) today, keep it that way to retain "value". if not, then the "upgrades" from a later car will likely make little difference to the value (other than for a concours type car, obviously).
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 19:36:56 »
James
if I read you right; the upgrades will have little negative impact on value, correct? That to me was a surprise, but the previous posts on this site seem to indicate people prefer 230 style but 280 upgrades.....My reasoning for using older valve cover and intake is that I prefer the car to look stock. It would be difficult to hide a 280 engine in a 230 for re-sale. Unfortunately none of the original parts are with the car
thanks Leonard

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 19:53:32 »
I'm no expert on this as I've had my car for nearly 20 years. Have spent a fortune on it and drive it like I stole it with a grin on my face. That pic < is my wife using it on a track in the middle of a rally across France.
I feel blessed that "value" has increased along the way as it makes the man-maths easier. But in a global recession, I think those days are numbered.

At the price point you mention, and now knowing the block is not the original 230 block, the question I'd be asking is "is the juice worth the squeeze?" - what price your "upgrades" (eg disk brake conversion - given you have the hubs today) and any knock onto "value" - the latter being in inverted commas as if it's your driver/keeper, then value is in smiles per mile. If you're a dealer/flipper, value is what someone will pay. If you have a 280 engine, use that.

Essentially, and being brutal for sake of clarity only, if it's rusty and running like a three legged dog, disk brakes and a shiny valve cover will make no difference to what I read as you meaning by value. If YOU prefer it to look stock and that's your value, make it look that way. or compromise on your preferences if the juice is no longer worth the squeeze... From a market perspective, today a #3 car with a non-original block is not suddenly going to become a #2 car with commensurate value by having "280 upgrades" unless it's running perfectly, is solid, reliable, etc etc

Have a look at the signature of  Benz Dr (Dan Caron) on here. His red-rocket is a bit of a mongrel of a car on paper and not "stock". But if he came to sell it...
When is a mutt a cockerpoo?

One thing I've learned on here over the years, is that someone will be able to make the opposite argument very eloquently...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 19:57:48 by JamesL »
James L

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 20:27:01 »
The seller wants $31000US. From the photos I am impressed with the work done and the thought put into it. This isn't just an engine swap, he did brakes, fuel injection, oil cooler, gas tank. All the boxes I would check he did. It has 230sl bumpers, euro lights (US model), no side markers....everything I would do he did. My only ding is he put 280 seats with headrests, which if I buy it will take out. The car has no rust, older paint but still very good. Using Hagerty  I would rate it a #3 but of course a 280 engine, I only use Hagerty as a reference to its condition, I wouldn't throw money at it to get it higher...a dog pound mutt can never be a purebreed, but I've seen some mutts that everyone would love and I think this car fits that definition. However at $31000 I think it's fair and if I haggle him down a bit all the better.   

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 05:02:41 »

Had you said it was considering a purchase at the outset, it might have been easier... People pay that sort of money for rusty tubs in some instances so fretting over the headrests puts you miles ahead of them!
James L

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 13:45:30 »
Sounds like a steal to me, especially after I read the 'no rust' part. And I would not call this car a 'mutt'. That would be if the seller had put a Chevy V8 into it (some people actually do). Probably 99.8% of people won't distinguish this one for a 'proper' one so who cares. If you want a great Pagoda then this sounds like a great Pagoda.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

leonard

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, SANTA ROSA
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 15:21:11 »
I talked to a member last night and we both agree it's a good price. It will need work from photos, and I am sure I will see a few things. As for the 'mutt' comment, I like mutts some of my best friends are mutts, nothing wrong with a mutt. To me, a Chevy engine (or even a (shudder) electric motor) would be a frankenstein.

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 17:19:24 »
I have a car with no headrests and I must say that I will eventually install head rests just as a safety issue.  Sure the car looks better without them but almost everyone who gets in my car comments about no headrests and if it is safe to be in it. 

Just saving my pennies to find a kit and put them in my car.

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50