Author Topic: Axle spit boot replacement  (Read 2682 times)

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
Axle spit boot replacement
« on: June 08, 2020, 12:37:32 »
Wow, that really sucked.

I just finished replacing the axle boot on my '64 230SL and it was one of the more difficult and frustrating jobs I've encountered.  I read through the many posts here covering how to do it, and wanted to add my experience to the pool of knowledge because what I encountered wasn't much like what others described.

First, if your boot hasn't been replaced, check it because I can pretty well guarantee it's compromised.  And it's not just about leaking oil, in fact leaking oil is probably the least troubling side effect of a damaged boot.  It will also allow dirt and water into the rear axle which is definitely not good.

I've been avoiding mine for years, but the car hasn't been on the road so not a big deal.  It's just good old fashion procrastination.  I have even had the replacement boot on hand for years, but I have dreaded the job, so avoided it.  But now the car back on the road (yippie), so needed to fix it.

First let's talk about access.  It's not good.  Many people have suggested removing the gas tank, and I think if you do not have a lift or good jacks then I can see how this would allow the job to be done from above rather than below.  But I have a lift which gives about as good access as you can get, and with it I don't think removing the tank would have been any help.

What is definitely in the way is the compensator spring.  At first I left it in place because my spring compressor wouldn't fit in there, and I didn't see any practical way to remove it.  I got the old boot cut out and removed, and did some test fitting of the new boot trying to sort out how I was going to approach installing it, including sealing and installing the metal clips.  While I was doing this I realized it was going to be a very difficult job unless I removed the spring.

I read here that if you disconnect the shocks and let the axle halves hang down to their max, that there is very little tension remaining in the spring and it can be removed one bolt at a time, carefully swinging the end plate clear.  Well that wasn't the case at all on my car.  Not even close.  When I removed the first bolt, the whole thing exploded out of the car in a way that kills mechanics.  It was not a happy moment, though actually it was because I escaped any injury.  The bottom line is that there was still a good 3-4" of compression on the spring.  Maybe my car is different, or maybe others have developed a technique for removing the spring, by my recommendation is that the only safe way to do it is with a spring compressor of some sort.  You just need one that can fit into the space.

Next is the boot.  The new boot hasn't been stretched out for 50 years, so is in a collapsed state.  That makes it hard to stretch it from one tube to the other without it popping back off in the process.  And with the shocks removed and the axles drooping to their max, it simply won't span the gap.  So the only way to get the new boot on is with the axles at least back on the shocks.

Now to complicate this further, once you get the new boot on, I was worried about busting its seam if I allowed the axles to droop back down again.  At that angle it's not just drawing out the pleats in the boot, but actually stretching the rubber.  I didn't want to risk blowing it out.  But to have any hope of reinstalling the compensator spring the axles need to be in full droop, which means the spring needs to go back on before the boot is stretched to span the tubes, and there goes the access that you hoped to gain by removing it in the first place. 

So what I decided to do is assemble the boot with the spring removed, including securing it to the axle tube.  Then reinstall the spring, raise the axles back up and hang them from the shocks, then pull the boot over the differential and secure that end.  All without busting open the seam in the boot.

My replacement boot, since I've had it for so long, came with the staples rather than the hog clamps or whatever they are called.  On the work bench I sorted out pre-bending the staples to ease installation, and leave as little crimping as possible in the confines of the actual installation.  I settled on completely pre-bending one end of the staples, then a partial bend on the other end.  The idea was to hook the pre-bent end over the boot half furthest away from me, then pull with pliers and hook the partial-hook end over the near half, with the partial-hook holding things in place.  Then I could reach in the pliers to complete the near-side crimp.  With all the clips prepped, it was on to the actual installation, but first a quick aside.

On my car, and probably others that have been leaking back there, there was a pretty good coating of oil and grease residue.  But this stuff had distilled down to a tar-like substance unlike anything I have encountered before.  I got a bunch on my arms and is just wouldn't come off, instead balling up in little tar balls.  I ended up using brake clean to get the crap off of me, and that's not my first choice for bath soap.  So beware and wear a long sleeve, disposable shirt because you will be reaching up, over, and around the differential while you do this job.

OK, back to the boot.  I decided to use weather strip adhesive in addition to the staples.  More boots are reported leak-free using some sort of glue, so that's what I did.  I used a small paint brush to paste the seams of the joint, let it tack dry, then stuck it together.   Then, with clips all prepared and ready to go, I stitched it up.  By the way, I did this with both ends of the boot off of the axle tubes.  I was going to install the axle end now, and the diff end later, but I wanted to fully glue and secure the seam before stretching it over the axle.  I considered joining the seam with the boot already over the axle, but earlier trials suggest that wasn't going to go well, and at a minimum would get glue between the boot and axle.  So I stitched up the seam with the boot off of both ends, then stretched the boot over the axle end.  This worked fine and I was able to clamp that end in place, making sure the seam was at the 9 o'clock position looking from the right side.  This part went well, and I left it to set up over night while I contemplated re-installation of the spring.

My first thought was to do as others have described which is to use the spring end bracket with one bolt installed plus a pry bar as a sort of hinged compressor, but that was a non-starter.  The uncompressed spring was way too long for the bracket to get a bite on it.  There was just no way.  So next I used my spring compressor which is actually two compressors, one for each side of the spring.  I figured if I could pre-compress the spring enough I could then get the hinged end bracket on, and finish it off with a lever bar.  The trick was to locate the compressor so I could then get it out afterwards, and so it wouldn't bottom out on the diff or other structures.  With some fussing, I got the spring compressed enough to then apply the "hinged end plate" technique.  With a pry bar plus a 4' extension pipe, I was then able to pivot the end bracket and compress the spring far enough to get the second bolt in the bracket.  It was a bit nerve wracking, especially since I hate putting significant side loads on a car when it's on a lift, but it worked and the spring was back in place.

Now all that was left was getting the boot pulled over the diff end and secured in place.  First I jacked each wheel back up and reinstalled the shocks.  This reduced the axle droop enough so installing the boot was plausible.  But still, to go over the diff end, the bottom of the boot would be completely compressed, and the top completely stretched.  If the whole rear end were lying on the floor you could straddle the thing and pull the boot into place.  But in the car it's a lot harder, and when you get one part on, the last part you got on wants to come off again.  Having three or four hands would help, but even without them, I was finally able to get it on, and thankfully the lip  on the diff is enough to keep it from popping back off a gain.  Last step was to install the band clamp.

Then the car came back down on the ground and rolled back to the apron entrance to my shop.  If you stop with the rear wheel still on the shop floor, the apron drops off and gives good space to get under and fill up the diff oil with the car on flat ground.  Oil full, and job done.

Man, I hope it doesn't leak.

For those of you who have had an easier time of this, please add whatever tips you can.  Others will benefit, and I still have another one of these to do. -:(
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
Re: Axle spit boot replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 18:52:27 »
Peter - sorry about this miserable experience.  But first of all, NEVER trust a spring.  NOT EVER.  They can and will hurt you seriously.  You're very fortunate not to have been a casualty.  I did this job on my 1966 230SL and it was a pain at best.  I did remove the tank and I can't imagine doing the job without removing it.  That doesn't give you access from above but it greatly improves the access from below.
As I recall, I was able to insert a threaded rod through the flanges and grab enough of the spring coils to compress it sufficiently to remove it safely.  No matter how you cut it, it's a major job.  And unfortunately, my new split boot still leaks (at the seam) - but there are no holes in it like there was with the original.
I have another split boot and one day I will venture into this job again.  I'm curious whether yours remains leak free.
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 19:49:15 »
Peter - sorry about this miserable experience.  But first of all, NEVER trust a spring.  NOT EVER.  They can and will hurt you seriously.  You're very fortunate not to have been a casualty.  I did this job on my 1966 230SL and it was a pain at best.  I did remove the tank and I can't imagine doing the job without removing it.  That doesn't give you access from above but it greatly improves the access from below.
As I recall, I was able to insert a threaded rod through the flanges and grab enough of the spring coils to compress it sufficiently to remove it safely.  No matter how you cut it, it's a major job.  And unfortunately, my new split boot still leaks (at the seam) - but there are no holes in it like there was with the original.
I have another split boot and one day I will venture into this job again.  I'm curious whether yours remains leak free.

You are right about springs, and I know better.  No excuses.

If I follow what you are saying, I agree that's the way to compress the spring.  The holder on the differential end has a hole through the center, and I think a rod run through that hole over to the opposite end of the spring, then a cross bar to grab the spring coils I think would make a suitable compressor.  You would have to hand fabricate it, but I don't think it would be too difficult.  I think that's how I'll do it on my 280 when the time comes.

Any yes, it still leaks.  Talk about insult to injury.  But it's another important lesson learned about this job.  I bought the kit from MB, and it included the two camps.  But the clamp for the diff end is too large.  It's 121mm (stamped and measured), but that's too big.  I have it fully compressed, yet oil is leaking from that clamped joint, and it's easy to shove on the boot and see movement in the joint.  I've ordered some smaller clamps which I hope will do the trick.  So far the split seam appears dry, so my fingers are crossed that the weather strip adhesive plus staples created a good seal.
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 09:47:00 »
It is a big job but it's precisely because it's a big job that you want to get it right first time. For that reason I always drop the axle, split the halves and fit a one-piece boot. It's the only way to be sure that you won't have to do it again.
Of course, since people pay me to do this, I have to make sure that it doesn't come back and I have to do it again but even without the commercial pressure I'd still recommend you do it the long but easy way.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 10:26:10 by stickandrudderman »

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 10:58:41 »
It is a big job but it's precisely because it's a big job that you want to get it right first time. For that reason I always drop the axle, split the halves and fir a one-piece boot. It's the only way to be sure that you won't have to do it again.
Of course, since people pay me to do this, I have to make sure that it doesn't come back and I have to do it again but even without the commercial pressure I'd still recommend you do it the long but easy way.

I would seriously consider going that route next time.  I previously replaced all the rubber bushings back there, all the brakes lines, and the drum brakes.  So I was probably 50-70% of the way there already....  Should have done it then.
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

Rick Katucki

• Junior Level
  • USA, ID, Eagle
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 02:13:44 »
I feel your pain! I did mine and it was a miserable ordeal.
Rick Katucki
64 230SL
Manual
Idaho, USA

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 05:36:16 »
There's an easy way to compress the compensating spring. I use a hooked bar and pry up enough to compress the spring on the axle side. There's a small cup with a flat plate which I believe the factory designed for this purpose. It's not easy to describe this way of removal but it sure beats all other ways hands down.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 00:58:44 »
There's an easy way to compress the compensating spring. I use a hooked bar and pry up enough to compress the spring on the axle side. There's a small cup with a flat plate which I believe the factory designed for this purpose. It's not easy to describe this way of removal but it sure beats all other ways hands down.

You mentioned this in another thread as well, but I couldn't follow how you were doing it.  Any chance of a picture or two?  I don't follow where/how the pry bar comes up against the spring, nor what the fulcrum point is.
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 03:11:14 »
I'll see if we can take a picture showing how we do it. It's not that easy to explain.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 01:26:22 »
Wish you had a picture of that compressor tool. I’m trying to get mine back in now.
1970 280 SL

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 02:54:07 »
Kev, I believe the picture is in this post by Dr. Benz: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=35255.msg257737#msg257737

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 04:40:50 »
Yeah, that's the picture. If someone could move that here it would be more useful. Maybe add it to the tech manual.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 07:20:20 by Garry »
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 06:49:14 »
Thank you for sharing that.  It looks like a crowbar.  A picture is worth a thousand words!

Before I saw this I made a spring compressor that I will use tomorrow.  I mounted it but ran out of time. Hopefully it will work. One of these days I will list the tools I have made to use on my 280sl and lend them out.
1970 280 SL