Author Topic: spark plugs for crane ignition  (Read 1590 times)

Ferrolanoman

• Senior
  • USA, CO, Longmont
spark plugs for crane ignition
« on: May 27, 2020, 14:45:16 »
I am currently running BOSCH WR8DC+ spark plugs with my old Crane XR electronic ignition. The car is a 1970 280SL, 4-speed, totally stock (other than the ignition retrofit that has been trouble free for decades), runs well, and the plugs look ash color (whitish), but  in reading through some of the threads on our website, it seems that the most used/recommended spark plug seems to be the NGK BP5ES. I'm concerned that I'm using the wrong plug both for the engine as well as for my ignition system and I certainly do not want anything to go bad with either. What should I do? I am very willing to order new plugs but which ones? My driving is very short distances, on average of 25 miles about once or twice per month. Thank you for any advice and recommendations proffered.
Ricardo

wayne R

Re: spark plugs for crane ignition
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 09:38:27 »
Ricardo  in my opinion stick with what you are using, in Colorado the temps are not really two high ,perhaps
couple of months of the year,your plugs are the correct colour, and you only do short runs. .
With Bosch the  WR8DC is getting abit high,but no problem there where you live.
Also with NGK,alot of owners dont realize that there heat range is the opposite,the lower the number
the hotter the plug,the higher the number the colder.
Even though plug makers can cross reference say  particular plug for a particular car ,
this is not always as acurate as it seems, like years ago i owned many Alfa Romeos, from
late sixtys to early seventies, with spica fuel injection,and some alfa owners used NGK,but wrong heat
range, and got caught out, most used Champion spark plugs ,and i did as well,just happened that they where the
most reliable with that  model car.--regards.