Author Topic: 1967 230sl Defrost fan switch bulb replacement  (Read 1816 times)

Xhafer Orhan

• Junior Level
  • USA, MI, Grosse Pointe Woods
1967 230sl Defrost fan switch bulb replacement
« on: May 25, 2020, 21:01:52 »
Is the light bulb in the fan switch removable and if so (1)how is it done (2 with what wattage bulb and (3) where would I locate such an animal.  I have the heater control unit removed, all 4 cables disconnected waiting for the appropriate lube to arrive in the mail and thought I'd tackle this while have the quarantine time to do so.  Found reference to the bulb in the Technical Manual but short on how to?  Any help is appreciated.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: 1967 230sl Defrost fan switch bulb replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 22:11:55 »
Yes, it is removable. It has been a while since I have done that. You will need get at it from the back side. The light bulb fits into the side of the switch. It is a small one, and I don't remember the size.

Access entails removing the glove box, which is kind of a pain, not terribly difficult, but tedious, and then you have to fit the glove box back in....
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 23:46:45 »
Is the light bulb in the fan switch removable and if so (1)how is it done (2 with what wattage bulb and (3) where would I locate such an animal.
Do you know that your bulb is bad?  Under the best of circumstances the light in the center of the knob is barely visible in pitch dark. 

You would need to take out the fan switch
1.  Unscrew the bezel on the face of the dash - then it will pull out with the knob as a single unit.
2.  Through whatever means necessary get your hand behind the fan switch and unplug it.  It's a 4 pin plug as I recall.
3.  Unscrew the nut holding it in.  You may need to take out the center dash speaker to get to it and allow it to rotate - I am not sure.
4.  It will be obvious how to replace the bulb when you have the switch unit out.  I don't remember how many watts it is, but it's always nearly impossible to see it anyway.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Xhafer Orhan

• Junior Level
  • USA, MI, Grosse Pointe Woods
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 02:23:58 »
Thank you.  I have the glove box, radio, clock and the heater controls unit out as I am planning on oiling all four heater control cables.  Hope I don't have to take out the air distribution box to "loosen" up the defroster / heat diverters inside the box.  Am waiting for a can of  aerosol cable oil to use with my new cable oiler unit.  While waiting thought I'd check on the Defrost fan switch bulb.  Am also replacing a bulb in the heater control unit.  Amazingly one of the bulbs there is still good.  Probably shouldn't have done all this but with our stay-at-home Corona virus rules needed something to do.  Jeff..........