Author Topic: Windshields...tinted or untinted?  (Read 4141 times)

prefervintage

• Junior Level
  • USA, CT, Cheshire
  • '69 280SL,'70 280SE,'82 300D,'85 Rolls,'66 Mustang
Windshields...tinted or untinted?
« on: May 17, 2020, 00:45:30 »
Hi...In preparing to paint my car, I'm planning to remove the windshield to sand under the seal...then replace the windshield, seals, and windshield frame chrome. I'm finding a number of windshields for sale...some are untinted, tinted green, or tinted blue...what was original for these cars, and if untinted, does anyone recommend tinting, and if so, what color tint? Any suggestions on chrome sources? I assume the MB classic center still sells the rubber/polymer seals...I've been told only MB seals fit right the first time.

Aaron h

Re: Windshields...tinted or untinted?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 01:24:23 »
Glass tint depends on the cars original domicile.  Some countries had clear glass, and some had tinted.  All U.S. delivered 280SL cars had tinted glass and a filter band (the bluish brow atop the glass).  The tinted glass is also called heat absorbing glass.  The actual color is green, or shot colored.  There was no blue tinted glass.  The easiest way to see what your car had when new is to either look at your data card to see if it has the option code for heat absorbing glass all around, or if that's not present then hold a piece of white paper on the back side of the glass leaving half of the piece of paper exposed.  You'll then see if the glass is green tinted or not. 

On the other hand, some people prefer one or the other regardless of what the car originally had.  The clear glass makes for a beautiful, clear, unobstructed view looking out and looking in, but a lot more of the suns heat will come in and cook your dash, and can make for a somewhat hot drive. 

Years ago I restored a 300sel 6.3 to gift my Father for his birthday one year.  At the time W108/W109 windshields were still available from Mercedes, and I decided that I wanted to put a clear glass in.  Yes, it looked spectacular!  But man what a mistake.  The black dash on a hot summer day is brutal.  In another W109 I have of my own it still has the green tinted heat absorbing glass.  It also has a black dash.  The difference is night and day.  I'll never put another clear glass in unless I need to for originality purposes. Even then I might consider finding a set of green tinted glass just to save my interior and keep the insides a little cooler.  I suppose the choice comes down to vanity, practicality, and what is best for the car and the driver/passenger. 

Both clear and green tinted windshields are still available for the Pagoda, so you have both to choose from.  You don't have to buy from the Classic center.  Everything they can get any dealership can get, and often times a dealership will offer a better price than Classic.  You'll just have to shop around. And yes, buy Mercedes rubber seals, and don't forget the sealant that goes between the seal and the body, and the seal and the glass. 

And which chrome pieces are you looking for?  Some are still available new ($$$$), but most others you'll have to have re-plated. 

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 09:27:01 »
100% with Aaron on the tinted/not tinted choices.

Also: before selecting supplier really check the prices you can get from Mercedes dealer vs. other suppliers. Not only from the dealer you get the glass with Mercedes markings that fits the car, but the price is often better than in internet stores.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 13:26:42 »
If this interests you - especially discussion of some brand issues deeper in the thread - I recalled this from years ago.  I bought my 113 16 yrs ago and replacing the windshield that was pock marked with 38 yrs of “space junk” was one of the first things I did.  At the time, the choice was Sekurit or PPG...I’ve been fine with PPG with tint  (interesting to know that PPG makes Sekurit..,)

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=10382.0
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 06:44:25 »
The original windshield in my Late 280 US spec was tinted green and shaded at the top in green. 

JN

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, NJ, egg harbor twp
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 14:42:54 »
My 250 has original glass and no tint all around

JN
1967 250 SL Coupe
2014 GLK 250 BlueTec
1994 Ford F 150 4wd

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 17:08:13 »
 On both my 250SL and 280SL tinted glass was an option. On the 250 it was broken down as option 591 for windshield($23),592 for side windows($16) and 593 for rear window($7). The 280's was option 598 for tinted glass all around ($43). My original windshield had to be replaced shortly after I took delivery due to a stone chip. It is labeled PPG/Sekurit as well and with the bluish tint across the top as Arron mentioned.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010