Author Topic: Part number for the spring on the lock mechanism w111  (Read 2015 times)

col320ce

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Glen Iris
Both doors have got a broken spring on the lock.  In the picture you can see the good spring and the arrow pointing to where the other spring that is broken in.  Anyone know the part number for this and exactly where it goes?
Thanks
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline

Aaron h

Re: Part number for the spring on the lock mechanism w111
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 04:24:23 »
There are no part numbers for anything related to the latch assembly.  Only for the latch assembly itself.  If something is broken on one of them you simply have to buy another.  Though, that's not to say that one couldn't find a spring, but you then have to find someone who can successfully take this apart and put it back together just to put the spring on.  This lever the spring is under is permanently attached to the assembly.  Once the swedged out portion is ground off to remove the lever there will be no more material left to swedge out again when done.  The assembly that the levers pivot on is made from cast zinc, and does not respond well to welding or "second time around" manipulations. 

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 14:49:06 »
Much of the lock assembly, including the handle bits, are put together using the famous swedge method. What a pain and most time better off getting a good used part. A locksmith friend of mine told me to go in and clean and lubricate the latch assembly to reduce the strain on the mechanisms. After this much time, these are all gummed up and need attention.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

col320ce

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Glen Iris
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 11:38:10 »
Ill see whether I can fabricate something.  I'll pull the pagoda one and if it's the same hopefully I can work out where the spring goes and try to cobble something together.
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline