Author Topic: Correct Tire Jack and Wheel Chock  (Read 12188 times)

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Correct Tire Jack and Wheel Chock
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2021, 21:53:26 »
Third nipple???

I am sorry - you would have to follow the recent thread on brake fluid reservoir - this is where the third nipple grew in November 69.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2021, 22:10:18 »
Thanks Mike
So now I’m confused.

As a matter of curiosity, does your handbook mention the wheel chock?

From other comments in the forum, it looks as though cars with the more horizontally mounted spare wheel have a particular place where the chock is mounted.

Knowing how fastidious the Germans are ensuring everything has its place, I’m not quite sure which of the various ‘clips’ would hold such an item, unless like in one image Attached, a bolt holds the chock in place inside the wheel itself. However this didn’t look to be of the exacting standards of MB and I would have thought make it difficult for the wheel  to be retrieved from the boot?

Katie 
230SL

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2021, 22:28:37 »
It is more like on the picture. It is secured there with a wing nut.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2021, 22:54:10 »
Many thanks Hans!
Last question- which one is more convenient? I know only the new one how it works. Is it equal in using or is it one step backwards?

It works well but the handle rotates in a horizontal plane so there’s a risk of hitting the panels if you’re not careful.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2021, 23:45:32 »
Thanks Mike
So now I’m confused.

As a matter of curiosity, does your handbook mention the wheel chock?

Katie

Katie: I have a 280SL. But my parts list/manual shows the chock for all years. It usually differentiates between parts for the various models. The chock in the 280SL is mounted on a tab that is welded to the spare tire holder. As the holder is only for the spare wheel mounted flat, that could be another indicator that the upright spare wheel cars did not have a wheel chock.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Mark250SL

• Junior Level
  • Germany, Bavaria, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2022, 21:50:57 »
Hi All- In the Chassis and Body Spare Parts List for the early 250 SLs = Catalog 10 128 from January 1967, they list the newer one-piece Bilstein under "Tools and Accessories" on page 178.  The corresponding part number is 000 583 67 15.  This is not the older, two-piece jack.  Could it be that both types were issued with the cars- depending on what was in stock during the transition from old to new?  I am just wondering which one to look for.  My early US-version 250SL was produced in April, 1967.

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2022, 23:34:40 »
IMHO it is possible. I once spoke in Essen to former employee of Daimler, charming gentleman who said things like that could have happened.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2022, 12:41:27 »
Could it be that both types were issued with the cars- depending on what was in stock during the transition from old to new?
Absolutely. Although it was M-B practice to exhaust the supply of old items before supplying the new, except in the cases of safety or performance parts, mixing did occur. Generally, ancillary items such as tools, jacks, chocks, etc., were placed in large bins to be picked out by the workers and it was common for some older parts to remain in the mix until finally being discovered at the bottom of the bin.