Author Topic: engine is blowing ... what do you think of this fix?  (Read 1829 times)

col320ce

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Glen Iris
engine is blowing ... what do you think of this fix?
« on: April 10, 2020, 23:54:45 »
This is what a prev mechanic did for an issue with it blowing (breather hose on the valve cover).  I have set up the fuel inj oil level and will do the linkage tour soon.  Once I have done this should I put the breather hose back on correctly (to in front of the air inlet venturi) or leave it the way it is?
If you can spot any other incorrect things by all means let me know.
Thanks for any help
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: engine is blowing ... what do you think of this fix?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 02:23:26 »
It looks like by the setup that the engine is producing too much internal pressure in the crankcase. The valve cover will vent some, but shouldn't be that excessive that it needs an external hose to the ground. There are causes for too much pressure in the crank case, and maybe those who are more experienced in that may offer some suggestions.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

austinado16

Re: engine is blowing ... what do you think of this fix?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 03:05:47 »
I would return the engine to it's correct configuration, start driving the car as you normally would drive it, and then see if you ACTUALLY have a problem.  Remember that you have 6 pistons traveling up and down.  That's going to create a certain amount of "wind" in the crankcase, which will come out of the oil return holes in the cylinder head, and then escape the engine via that breather system from the valve cover to the intake.  Let the system do it's job.  If you had a ton of "blow by" getting passed worn piston rings and cylinders that were tapered (worn) wider towards the top, you'd typically also have an engine that smoked blue, and burned quite a bit of engine oil per tank of gas.