Author Topic: Connection of the Headlight Flasher Adventure...!  (Read 4782 times)

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes, LA ROCHELLE
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
Connection of the Headlight Flasher Adventure...!
« on: April 06, 2020, 17:21:29 »
As i am in Europe i can use the headlight Flasher. So  during this "happy" containment period i decided that it was a good rainy day for doing that.
Some weeks ago i have already dismantled the steering switch so i had in memory  all the parts…. i began by solder the 2 wires connecting the missing female pins in the 12 pins plug  :
There is no much room in the plug so you must be sure to put the cover on the plug….!

When you have done that you must connect the other side to the fuse box …. ::) 

it is very difficult to do that without unscrewing the fuse box and slide it down carefully Under the dash and then you can  connect the 2 wires on the 2 and 10 fuse position . Be aware the diameter of the connector on the fuse must not be more than 8 mm .

And then you have to put back the fuse box screwed on the bulkhead… To do that a good trick is to pass through the hole of the bulkhead a string that you
pass also through the holes of the box and stop behind the fuse box . So you can pull the 2 strings and slowly the box comes in the correct location and you can screw side by side the box   ;)
Job done ..... If every connection is correct.... :-X   When i tried switching the ignition key.... The horn was engaged... and the windscreen washer  and the headlight flasher was not working ! i made a mistake with the wire location in the 12 pins plug....
After a rest night ....I began this morning the plug wire check again.....and followed the color of each 12 wires checking their exact location ....  i found a swap of 2 wires ...! but the problem of the flasher remained.
To find the issue i tested on the steering switch and found the problem was there.
I dismantled again..... the switch and finaly found that the lever was not actuating enough the plastic pin which press a copper blade against an other blade on the switch casing .

I put a little drop of Bondic on one edge of the pin after a good degreasing of the connect blades and tried on the bench...

After a bench test i put back the switch on the car ....Crossing the fingers ...…of the 2 hands ... ::)
 I turned the Key with a "little stress..... and every thing was working  ;D
 At last it is a rainy containment day..... but for me à good day  !

Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: Connection of the Headlight Flasher Adventure...!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 22:52:07 »
That is a great write up of the process and i am sure others will be interested.

A write up with the photos in the Technical Manual would be great if you can please.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 06:36:07 »
Top job, thanks for sharing with us!
...WRe

yves

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 07:42:16 »
Thank's Gary and Wre , i Don't know how putting the pics in the manual file… may be the "moderator" can do this ...if it is usefull ?
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

WRe

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 08:20:18 »
Hi,
maybe this document can help you. Please let me know if you need a editable file
...WRe

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 09:17:03 »
Perhaps you are aware of the "Longtooth article" on this subject(?)
As mentioned in the "Tech Manual" of our Forum.

Certainly extensive, albeit a bit thin when it comes to illustrations...
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=554.0
/Hans S

yves

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 14:10:26 »
Hi mbze  , that post ( that i ignored)  is quite exactly what happened to me... :-\…. But my English is not good enough to describe and explain by words all the story…
That's why i post a lot of photos to explain the process...

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 11:00:37 »
Instructions for adding to the Tech Manual are here:

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Main/News

In the time you produced the pdf, you could have added the pictures and text to the Tech Manual...  ;)
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

WRe

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 18:57:58 »
Hi,
I've just added Yves procedure to the Technical Manual. hope everything is correct because it was my 1st edit: Connection of the Headlight Flasher. Maybe somebody can correct Yves and mine English.
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/SteeringColumnSwitch.
...WRe

yves

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 07:13:48 »
Thank's again Wolfgang  ;)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 14:12:19 »
Hi,
I've just added Yves procedure to the Technical Manual. hope everything is correct because it was my 1st edit: Connection of the Headlight Flasher. Maybe somebody can correct Yves and mine English.
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/SteeringColumnSwitch.
...WRe

Excellent!
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

jeffc280sl

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 14:23:09 »
nice write up thanks.   while in this area you may want to consider an upgrade to add a hi/lo beam headlight switching to the wiper stalk. 

yves

• Silver
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 15:09:39 »
Hi Jeff it seems interesting….! is there this upgrade somewhere  on the forum ?   and it would be possible  to switch Hi/Lo with the wiper lever?

jeffc280sl

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 15:16:10 »
Hi Yves,

i wrote about this years ago.  you need to add a relay to use the wiper stalk for hi/lo beam switching.  ill see if i can find it

jeffc280sl

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 15:32:48 by jeffc280sl »

jeffc280sl

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 16:11:01 »
an issue comes to mind when i think about the flash to pass only mod.  it  has to do with the lack of a relay and the current draw of the hi-beam.  its a momentary function so its not likely to be a current draw problem.

think about it this way.  if you held the flash to pass switch on for a long period of time the current draw of the lamp may cause a wiring/stalk switch melt down.

this is where the relay solution described above comes into play.  have a look at the hi/lo beam floor switch components.  hi current flows through this floor switch.  the relay takes all of this into consideration

since this upgrade eliminates the need for the foot switch a friend recommended repurposing the foot switch as a security kill switch.

yves

• Silver
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 17:53:55 »
Clever… about the foot switch …! ;)

jeffc280sl

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 16:35:57 »
glad you like the suggestion from another member.  the foot switch is a heavy duty hi current device.  thats why a relay is used for hi/low beam switching from the stalk.  it is the same reasoning behind using a relay for flash to pass

TEJOLX47

• Senior
  • Portugal, Lisboa, Lisboa
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 15:50:31 »
Hi Yves,

Thank you very much for a very clear set of instructions to connect the Headlight Flasher to the Multi-function Switch.
I had started to work on this issue a while ago, but found something that stopped me. The wiring diagram on my US model has a different connection scheme from the European model.
To state it more clearly, PIN 1 in European model connects to washer pump and PIN 2 connects to the wiper; if you look at the US diagram these connections are "inverted"; and it continues for PIN 3 and 4, PIN 5 and 6, and so on.
Did you notice this?
Does it have any influence on the connections you have made?
Many thanks
Francisco
Francisco

1970 280 SL (US delivered, Auto, AC, PS)
181 Light beige with 423 Tobbaco brown top

yves

• Silver
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 19:06:35 »
Hi Francisco, i have plugged as i said in the discussion on the pin  2 and 10    i have no problem with that . The difficult work was to open and close the 12 pins plug.... the "bakelite" was hard and broke very easily.... i have  warmed the rubber cover in very hot water  and pressed   gently on the plug with a piece of wood  in the vice

TEJOLX47

• Senior
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 13:00:49 »
Thanks a lot!
:)
Francisco

TEJOLX47

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 19:30:00 »
Hi Yves,

I am considering to follow you example once I also have a US car.
However, I was told that US cars have very thin pins in the female connector which can cause overheating on the connector.
Do you know anything about this?
Have you experienced any special "smell" when using it?
Thanks a lot.
Francisco
Francisco

yves

• Silver
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2020, 07:35:45 »
Hi Francisco, I haven’t ear about those thin pins ....! I had no problem of over heating ......since today💭💭💭😁🙏🏼