Author Topic: dashboard help please  (Read 2261 times)

jim 56

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, NY, Bellerose
dashboard help please
« on: April 02, 2020, 13:48:46 »
Hi all I have my 1972 280 SE dash gauges out and need some help. In the picture on the front is a silver piece that turns the reo. I believe this is the dimmer for the dash lights.I am going to have to take it out and see why it is so difficult to turn.In the next picture is the back I am not sure where the rheostat gets its power from is it coming from the plug or is there a separate wire that goes to the rheostat from the switch on the dash.

jim 56

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, NY, Bellerose
Re: dashboard help please
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 16:51:37 »
Me again I have one more question does anybody know what this switch is for.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 17:42:08 »
Quote from: mcclainjlkcmsncom
.../...does anybody know what this switch is for
Courtesy light, in the rear (for the back seat passengers)
/Hans S

jim 56

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, NY, Bellerose
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 22:41:10 »
thank you

Aaron h

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 13:52:00 »
The dash light rheostat gets it's 12v+ supply from the round electrical plug above it, but through the printed circuit board.  There are no wires.  When you remove the rheostat there will be two metal pins sticking up out of the printed circuit board that the rheostat slides on to. 

If the rheostat ends up being bad you can still find them, but they're stupid expensive.  I've often seen people solder a wire between the two brass legs on the rheostat as a cheap fix.  You won't have the ability to dim the dash lights any longer, but you'll have lights.  Then again, it may just need to be taken apart and cleaned.  If the spiral wound resistance wire inside of the ceramic housing has com loose then it's pretty much a hopeless case for repair.  That happens often, as well. 

dpreston Virginia

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Salem
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 13:34:30 »
I just put the gauges back in my 280SL. The rheostat on my car didn't work well. I read to clean with contact cleaner. I ordered CRC 05101 QD Electronic Cleaner - 4.5 Wt Oz. sprayed it a couple times and it now works great. Of course you have to spray the rheostat when the gauge is out of the car!
190SL 1960 Sold
280SL 1969
280SE 1969 cabriolet
Vette 67
Porsche 912 67