Author Topic: Intermittent stalling  (Read 1098 times)

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
Intermittent stalling
« on: March 15, 2020, 10:51:08 »
Hi,
Our Pagoda suffers from what might be common to many of our cars - insufficient use syndrome. Any way, when we do use it, it has an annoying fault when warmed up - not idling and stalling, but not every time.

I find that if I roll up to a stop sign/lights etc and wait until about 1000rpm before putting the clutch in - everything is fine - nice smooth idle. On the other hand, if I approach the same sign (or whatever) fairly briskly and put the clutch in with the revs about 2000, the engine will just die. I can keep it going if I heel and toe it and once stabilised it will idle ok.

I thought maybe the distributor springs might be weak but I can rotate the shaft and it will spring back so perhaps not. She pulls strongly with no hesitation or missing. I should add that when  she is cold, the stalling is more pronounced. I am confident that the linkeage tour is pretty close.

Any suggestion would be welcome.
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: Intermittent stalling
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 13:54:31 »
Check that the dashpot from the accelerator linkage on the intake manifold is functioning and properly adjusted. This keeps the throttle from slamming shut and choking the engine when releasing the pedal.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

chumps

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa Valley
Re: Intermittent stalling
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 16:30:10 »
I had the same problem. When I approached a stop slowly I had no problem, but if I laid on the brakes with more pressure my car would die. It always started up again. I was under the hood looking for possible fixes when I noticed a loose coil wire. I tightened it up and had no more problems. Just a thought. Chumps