Author Topic: Hirschmann Power Antenna Wiring  (Read 5700 times)

gcw206

• Regular
  • USA, WA, Seattle
Hirschmann Power Antenna Wiring
« on: March 07, 2020, 23:26:34 »
The radio in my 1969 280SE W111 was replaced some time ago with a space age after market radio.  Not sure when the job was done, but today I removed everything, and am going to install a period correct Becker.  The automatic Hirschmann Antenna is still in the car, but I am not sure if it works or not.  When using the Pioneer unit, the antenna never extended.  I have three wires coming from the unit:  Blue/White, Yellow, and a Purple (or Blue/ Red, it is hard to tell).
I know one is ground, one is constant power, and one is the the intermittent (trigger) power from the radio.  Question is:  What is what?  I have searched the web, but usually the wires are coded differently from what I have.  I don't want to hook it up incorrectly. and cook everything. 

Aaron h

Re: Hirschmann Power Antenna Wiring
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 01:30:25 »
If I remember correctly, the blue wire with the white on it goes to the switched power jack on the back of the radio or amplifier.  The other two go through the firewall to the accessory fuse box and the bracket the fuse box attaches to (for the ground). 

While the colors are different, here is a quote out of the W108/W109 installation manual:

"Pass the red and black strand through the existing rubber grommet to the engine compartment."
"Connect red strand at radio at radio fuse box to 8 ampere fuse."
"Connect black strand underneath the fastening screw of fuse box"
"Run white strand (control line) and aerial cable behind right hand side heater section to radio or amplifier". 

Peter

• Silver
  • Netherlands, North Brabant, Helmond
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 13:19:00 »
I installed some time ago a Hirschmann antenna.
Below you the wiring instructions.
Maybe it helps,

Peter

gcw206

• Regular
  • USA, WA, Seattle
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 22:55:18 »
Ok, think I found out the problem.  I have a Hirschmann Hit Auta 5091 antenna.  Since I have owned the car, the antenna never worked (I suspect this was/is the one that came with the car).  I took it out of the car, and noticed that it was wired to an external resistor, but w/o a wiring diagram, I was still flying blind.  I finally did manage to find a wiring diagram online, and when I hooked it all up, nothing worked.  The 5091 has 3 wires coming out of the unit; then into an external resistor, and then 2 wires out (and a ground).  Needless to say, they are all different colors.  So, a dead unit (no surprise), and a replacement on order. 

Aaron h

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 06:26:59 »
Have you considered installing a correct Hirschmann Auta 6000?  There are plenty of them out there.  You just have to shop around to find one that isn't over priced.  For some reasons people think these 6000 models are worth hundreds of dollars.  Though, I realize this may be a wild goose chase since the original mounting brackets and rubber holders may be missing. 

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 07:59:00 »
Hi,
the Hirschmann Hit Auta 5091 works with a special external timing non standard relay contrary to 2050 and 6000 models. Check this for your installation.
...WRe
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 15:50:05 by WRe »