Author Topic: Contemplating a color change? Here is what they think at Ferrari  (Read 1861 times)

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
My inbox today contained an article from Hagerty's excellent newsletter about the 8 most expensive cars crossing the block at Amelia Island 2020.

Read it here https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/02/28/most-expensive-cars-crossing-the-block-at-amelia-island-2020?

In the article they review a 1967 Ferrari 330 GTS with an estimated selling price of 1.8M - 2.2M.

The article states:
Originally finished in Grigio Fumo (that’s gray), serial #9791 was ordered by Luigi Chinetti Motors of Greenwich, Connecticut, and built for the American market. Repainted Oro Chiaro (light gold) in 2012, it received Ferrari Classiche Certification and brought home the Platinum Award at the 2013 Cavallino Classic.

The color change was questioned in the comments section where someone responded:

If the paint is certified by Ferrari, you can paint it any color you’d like, and keep the cars value! Possibly more, if it’s a more desirable color!

Pagoda owners often question the impact on value when changing from the original color. I did. Then decided to go with the color I liked best. No regrets at this point.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Contemplating a color change? Here is what they think at Ferrari
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 18:04:05 »
Ferraris are jumped up kit cars and the dash is not a welded in part that has to be the same colour as the car.

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 19:03:46 »
It also depends on who did the repaint on the Ferrari. Ferrari does repairs and restorations for customers. Mercedes Benz does not.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 01:02:03 »
I appreciate this thanks Frank!  Makes me feel better about changing my color. Of course there isn’t a spot of the old color anywhere in my car unless perhaps you pull apart and look inside the dash. 
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 13:42:02 »
There is, in my opinion, a right way and a wrong way to do a color change. The right way would be with almost no evidence of that change other than a mismatch between the data card and the color on the car, and the wrong way would be the very obvious different color dash versus body. Add to that a really non-standard color, such as the metallic lime-green Pagoda I once saw at Dan Caron's Meeting of the Clans I, owned by Canadian musician Ian Thomas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Thomas_(Canadian_musician)

Many of you have seen my car at any number of Pagoda events; those that looked carefully know that the color change from 050 to 568 was done by the restorer with meticulous care; you would have to tear the car apart to find any traces of 050.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

johnk

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Avon
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 17:28:36 »
I watched a episode of Chassing Classic cars a few years ago where Wayne changed the color of an expensive Ferrari before taking it to auction. He said the color change doesn’t affect value as long as it’s a Ferrari color. He didn’t even say that it had to be available for that model year.
John Krystowski
Avon Ohio
1968 Euro 280sl under restoration
2016 Jag F-Type R sold june 2021
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS For sale
2008 E350
2007 GL 450
2019 BMW 540