Author Topic: lenght of the pin operating the turn signal in the steering switch  (Read 5223 times)

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes, LA ROCHELLE
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
I am trying to repair my steering column  switch which does not hold when i turn the flasher on the right or left. As i read on different discussion it seems that i must lenghthen the pin . Does some one can tell me what is the right lenght of the pin ?  too long it will be too fragile
Actually the pin is about 1 mm out of the edge of the switch case  as the photo below shows and i have not a big lenght available too glue some thing :

Advices will be much appreciated …  ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 21:26:18 by yves »
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: lenght of the pin operating the turn signal in the steering switch
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 19:03:41 »
To fix mine I heated up a pair of duck bill pliers with a torch and gently squeezed the pin to slightly elongate it. It doesn’t take much. That was 5 years ago. Still working great.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 05:00:46 »
The "not holding" problem is usually caused by the roller assembly. Often times the soft metal raceway the roller rides on becomes more level over time and usage. The little "valley" catches and holds the roller so the turn signal stays on until the turn is completed. Carefully re-storing the "valley" with a Dremel can restore its function. Making the "valley" too deep can make difficult to self-cancel, so go carefully.  In addition there are various other circumstances and problems which can add to the "not holding" problem if this is not the case.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

yves

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 14:42:00 »
I have solved one side of the issue with "gluing" the short pin with some bondic :

It seems solid after some trys in rotation with my finger. I fitted the switch case back on the steering column and it works……  I'll see if it is a good solution afetr some use   ::)

Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

yves

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 22:13:51 »
I had a surprise when i fitted back the switch o the column:

The washer was lying on the case when i screwed it ….! so i decided finaly to dismantle all the switch on a Bench clean and prepared to prevent any spring detend unexpected... ::)

I took many photos which should be useful for anyone …. in case !

Now i have to replace the 2 "rivet pins " which hold the arms actuating the rollers.   

yves

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 21:00:30 »
I have dismantled all the parts for refurbishing and replaced the two "rollers" by some new rollers cylindres made from a steel rod ….. and then drilled the pivots of the levers operating the levers,   threaded the case for 2 new 4 mm screws, modified the head screws  so they can be placed in the right position . Putting the levers springs was not very easy , and i finished fitting all the switch on the steering column :

jeffc280sl

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 17:02:20 »
amazing write up and photos.  thank  you very much for sharing

yves

• Silver
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 22:03:17 »
I had a surprise when i have tried the switch on the column…. During the refurbishing the modified elongated pin i have put with bondic  was broken when i pressed on the shaft against the strong ball spring… to screw it on the case . But i fitted the switch on without another repair. And it works …! because the part where the pin is  located is now free of a complete  move . So the pin is now actuated by the column .

yves

• Silver
Hum…… after fitting back the switch on the column, it worked fine when i pushed down or up the lever. The lever came back on the neutral position in the  2 position while i was turning the steering Wheel. But after connecting the 12 pins plug Under the dash all the lectric functions were ok ...except the turning lights ! :-[
So i dismantled again the switch and put it on the Bench and saw that there was no contact between the copper part with 2 contact pins and the 3 copper contact on the other side :
So i thought that the 2 connect pins were too much flat . I put on those pins a little drop of solder wire  and grinded them until they have what i thought the right thickness:

After a Bench test …. it didn't work…. !
A good inspection helped to find the solution…. I have fitted the copper plate with it's two pins in the wrong position. I thought that the curve edge was outside …. It is not  . So i turned the plte on the other side and tested it on the Bench : all was fine !
The photo below shows the plate on the WRONG side

The good news  is  that now the lever is no more  light to moove because of the drops on the pins 

Rahul

• Senior
  • Bermuda, Devonshire, Paget
  • 1971 280SL automatic #571, parchment
This had to be one of the best posts I have come across on this forum. Thank you!!

I managed to fix an issue with my turn signal using this guide (with help from a few other posts)... I sincerely hope this is the hardest DIY fix I will have to do because it was an absolute pain in the @$$!!

Never again, lol
1971 280SL auto #571 over parchment

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Great presentation post on the turn signal switch repair.
Yves, will you load it into the technical manual for others for future reference please.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

yves

• Silver
Hi Garry it would be withe pleasure but i don't know how to do that ....! :o

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Yves, you've done it before. Check the end of: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/SteeringColumnSwitch... oh no, I see that it was done by Wre.

And... Help is here: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Main/News

I would recommend that you add it because your pictures are hosted on a third party site, and my get lost to us in future...

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

getsmart

• Silver
  • Australia, Victoria, Dromana
Great work Yves, I'm about to get stuck into mine!!!!

Rgds, Joe
Finding the red car
1964 230sl Restoration Project