Author Topic: Alternator Bracket:: Too Tight?  (Read 5067 times)

113gray

Alternator Bracket:: Too Tight?
« on: March 06, 2005, 08:41:32 »
Hello group. Thinking about my 230SL in anticipation of spring, I recalled having to replace my alternator bracket last summer. The MB replacement bracket was thicker than the original & getting the fan belt back on was a struggle, even with loosening the alternator adjustment bolt to the max. reinstalled, the belt seemed very tight, although I was able to depress it the recommended 1/2" with my thumb, but with some force required.Now I am wondering if the belt is too tight, & if so, would this subject the crank, water pump bearings to XS wear &/or failure. Should I cut the old belt off & replace it with one 1-2 cm longer? The car has been driven perhaps 500 miles since with no ill effect I can detect. Appreciate your responses.       -JP-

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Alternator Bracket:: Too Tight?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 08:58:36 »
Hey JP,

You are wise to take this into consideration.  I once had consistent problems with a too-loose v-belt on my VW Golf some years ago, when I finally got it tight enough it was apparently too tight and trashed the alternator bearings!  :(

I don't know if MB publishes a spec on belt tension other then the old 1/2 deflection deal, but in some realms, v-belt tension is important, and to that end, Goodyear makes an inexpensive tool called an "Industrial V-Belt Tensioner" (Product code 522908003) which is used to measure the tension (tightness) on a v-belt.  If you have concern about what you have done, you might want to try and pick one of these up and add it to your tool kit.  I'm sure many other manufacturers make something similar; it isn't expensive or complex.

I have one in my bag of tricks for carwash pumps and motors, but it certainly can be used in other applications.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 14:37:25 »
From the BBB

"The Vee-belt must be tensioned to such an extent that it can be pressed out of the straight by 5 mm to a maximum of 10 mm when moderate thumb pressure is applied"

So you are correct, a range of 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 16:17:53 »
quote:
"The Vee-belt must be tensioned to such an extent that it can be pressed out of the straight by 5 mm to a maximum of 10 mm when moderate thumb pressure is applied"   So you are correct, a range of 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

5mm ~ 3/16"; 10mm ~ 3/8".  
1/4" ~ 6mm; 1/2" ~ 13mm