Author Topic: Vintage A/C  (Read 1984 times)

Aledietze

Vintage A/C
« on: February 10, 2020, 01:47:17 »
HI Gents,
can anyone recommend where to buy the original or a copy of the A/C console?

Best,
Alex

Peter

• Silver
  • Netherlands, North Brabant, Helmond
Re: Vintage A/C
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 20:18:11 »

Aledietze

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 21:09:00 »
Thanks Peter. Which system is the best suitable and better looking? Frigiking, Behr or Kuhlmeister?

Norm

• Silver
  • USA, TX, Wimberley
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 23:12:26 »
I like the Kuhlmeister.... :)

Norm
Norm
1966 230SL 162H Blue-Grey
1994 Acura NSX Formula Red
2024 Acura RDX A-Spec, White Pearl
2016 Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe Obsidian Black
2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Light / Dark Root Beer

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 23:55:45 »
Alex,
There is no copy per se but there are units available that are far cheaper than the original.  The last time I looked they were around $300.  If you Google " slimline AC under dash" and look for one with the motor on the right.

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 08:49:57 »
The under dash vent component seem to be easier to source than the brackets, pulleys and mounting components in the engine compartment. Then you may find you need to address the engine heat issue an AC compressor adds to the mix.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

dpreston Virginia

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Salem
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 14:59:48 »
I know having the original AC is a great thing but a friend of mine in Roanoke had his original redone and it no way cooled as well as the new Buds Benz unit I had. Airflow about 1/3 less.
He drives his Pagoda daily year round with the hard top on, so AC is super important in the summer.
He has since sold his original AC unit and went with a new Buds unit. So if you need great AC go with new. IMO
190SL 1960 Sold
280SL 1969
280SE 1969 cabriolet
Vette 67
Porsche 912 67

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 08:24:01 »
As I have stated my opinion in other threads on the AC topic: The only component worth saving when installing a Frigiking unit is the underdash vent assembly. That is if you want what most describe as the original (misnomer) look.
Then you still have all air supplied on the passenger side. Scrap the evaporator, blower, condenser, hoses, compressor, dryer and replace with new. Buds has a nice kit but the only components they source separately from kits available to retrofit in cars for an underdash installation, are the engine compressor mounting brackets and crank and water pump pulley. And I believe they sell the crank pulley separate from the kit. VintageAir is a good place to start to source parts.

I have familarized myself extensively with the dealer installed Frigiking AC system and am working on an integrated system that will supply air through the existing dash vents. This system will replace the existing heater core and blower (eliminates redundancy of having 2 blowers and will look and function more like a OEM designed system. One can argue what an OEM designed system would look like since that never happened but I thing everyone would agree it would not look like a Frigiking unit.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 23:28:41 »
As I have stated my opinion in other threads on the AC topic: The only component worth saving when installing a Frigiking unit is the underdash vent assembly. That is if you want what most describe as the original (misnomer) look.
Then you still have all air supplied on the passenger side. Scrap the evaporator, blower, condenser, hoses, compressor, dryer and replace with new.

Where can you get a new Frigiking evaporator?
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 23:47:45 »
You are not going to find a new Frigiking evaporator. You will find evaporators, expansion valves, thermostats and other components at VintageAir.com.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois