Author Topic: Help needed with coolant line routing  (Read 1280 times)

pauldridge

Help needed with coolant line routing
« on: February 08, 2020, 20:08:29 »
After a 10 year slumber, I have finally completed the overhaul of the 280 engine which came in my '64 230SL.  This engine performed fine on initial purchase, but due to low compression I decided to give a complete overhaul.  Now the engine is back in the car and ready to attempt to start.

I suspect this engine originally came from a sedan or other source rather than a Pagoda, so the routing of the coolant lines, although unchanged from when I originally acquired, has me baffled.  In particular, there is one outlet on the driver side head, as shown in the photo, a metal curved pipe with some sort of sensor on the end.  Then another outlet just below on the block.

I wonder if someone more knowledgeable than me can help me get the hose routing correct?  I have created a diagram, with every available hose connection labeled.  If you could fill in the blanks of the list at the side of the diagram  (i.e.  connector "A" goes to connection "5", etc), it would be very helpful.  I have included a PDF file of the same coolant diagram if more usable.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: Help needed with coolant line routing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 23:24:32 »
/Hans S

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 13:41:49 »
I have been on line quite a bit and look for photos of Pagoda engines installed in cars. A lot of times, there is an abundance of great photos on BaT of engine compartments when cars are offered for sale. I find this extremely helpful in keeping everything at its proper place.

I am a tad confused with your picture. Does it show the engine in your car?
What I see on the pics of a 280 M130 installed, is, that the large hose from the head goes to the firewall, whereas in your picture it runs over to the other side of the engine
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 15:42:55 by MikeSimon »
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Aaron h

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 23:12:46 »
It looks like Phil's car has the extra cooling pipe for the number 6 cylinder, which was noted for running too hot on the early M-130 engines.

I'll do the best that I can with what you've given to work with. 

C connects to G

F connects to bottom of E

3 connects to the top of E

A connects to D (originally)  Also, buy the correct heater hose with the 90 degree bend in it or the hose you're using will crimp off.

4, 5, and 1 connect to the thermostat housing and water pump housing, but the diagram is missing a connector.  1 will ultimately connect to water pump housing

I have no idea what number 2 is, nor do I know what the 518 is, or maybe 5/8?   

Someone else with the rear cylinder cooling pipe will have to chime in on where B connects to.