Author Topic: Upper Control Arm Pivot Pin Spacer Washers (shims)  (Read 1772 times)

PeterPortugal

• Gold
  • Portugal, Faro, Lagoa
Upper Control Arm Pivot Pin Spacer Washers (shims)
« on: January 28, 2020, 20:05:49 »
Hi all,

I am in the process of rebuilding my front sub frame. I note from the BBB that the upper control arm pivot pin assembly should include 2mm spacer washers (shims). They were missing on my car as found.

It also says these shims can be mounted between the pivot pin and the sub frame or under the bolt head adjacent to the locking plate. The two alternative locations will impact the camber.

What is the default location I should use? I am not trying to rebuild the car as found and acknowledge that a wheel alignment will be necessary.

Car is a 220seb but I believe the W113 is identical in this regard.

Also I just bought some M12 x 20mm x 2mm thick stainless steel washers from a hardware store. Are these appropriate for the job?

Regards

Peter
1963 220se Cabrio
1968 280se Coupe

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Re: Upper Control Arm Pivot Pin Spacer Washers (shims)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 21:25:24 »
Peter,
Are you talking about the washers shown in the picture?
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

PeterPortugal

• Gold
  • Portugal, Faro, Lagoa
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 04:54:34 »
Hi Dirk,
Thanks for replying again. Your help on motor mounts was much appreciated too.

Your picture shows the hardware for the outer end which locates the kingpin. My post is related to the inner end which mounts the control arm to the sub frame.

Regards

Peter
1963 220se Cabrio
1968 280se Coupe

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 16:05:46 »
Oh, you are talking about item # 3 , Scheiben or shims. I just reassembled these as well. Mine did not have any shims when I took it apart. The note says that these are used if the cam stroke adjustment of the bolt is not enough. I guess, we (I) will find out when an alignment is performed? 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 16:20:35 by dirkbalter »
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 16:38:28 »
Quote from: dirkbalter
.../...item # 3 , Scheiben or shims. I just reassembled these as well. Mine did not have any shims when I took it apart.../...
A previous mechanic w/o knowledge has been messing things up in your car...
The Mercedes Workshop manual (BBB) stresses the fact that two of these washers must be fitted on each bolt at all time.
The position of these washers can be varied according to need however. One each side, like in the illustration on the left (Item No 3) is the normal situation.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 20:26:28 by mbzse »
/Hans S

Dave H

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Durham
    • Dave H
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 17:06:27 »
Funny you mention the 2mm camber spacers, I am just in the process off fitting them on the correct side after spotting it in the BBB, when I rebuilt the subframe I fitted them on the wrong side thinking they were just washers but only noticed once I had fitted the subframe and motor back in the car, I had to take the weight of the car on the lower control arm,slowly back off both bolts 3 mm and the only completely remove one of the 2 bolts at a time to fit the 2mm spacer for fear of everything getting out of shape, it is doable with care, the new lock washers have just arrived from SLS so I will have to do the process again tomorrow as the old washers now look a mess. My advice is to fit them now while it’s out of the car .
Mercedes 250SL    1967
Mercedes 250SLK  2014
Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 Ti
Fiat 500

PeterPortugal

• Gold
  • Portugal, Faro, Lagoa
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 19:25:55 »
Dave,

I see you have fitted yours between the pivot pin and the sub frame. Unless anybody tells me any different that's where I will fit mine first and hope I can get the correct camber.

The lock washer puzzles me. What stops this round washer rotating with the bolt?

I have the earlier version which has some tabs which "grip" the pivot pin.

Regards

Peter
1963 220se Cabrio
1968 280se Coupe

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 22:38:49 »
A previous mechanic w/o knowledge has been messing things up in your car...
The Mercedes Workshop manual (BBB) stresses the fact that two of these washers must be fitted on each bolt at all time.
The position of these washers can be varied according to need however. One each side, like in the illustration on the left (Item No 3) is the normal situation.

You are right. I should have red the next page in the manual.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Dave H

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Durham
    • Dave H
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 09:10:31 »
Up early this morning and fitted  new lock washers, not such a bad job, only do one bolt at a time with the lower control arm supported, bend the bottom of the lock washer first before fitting the bolt, makes it easier, bend the top after tightening with pliers, would be awkward to do once manifolds, coil and servo/ master cylinder etc are in the way.
Mercedes 250SL    1967
Mercedes 250SLK  2014
Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 Ti
Fiat 500