Author Topic: Engine Reassembly  (Read 1074 times)

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
Engine Reassembly
« on: December 30, 2019, 17:45:34 »
I thought that as I go along with reassembling my engine, I might list what I'm doing as a sanity check/confirmation from the experts on the forum who already have this experience.  This will be a progressive list as I am able to get to the car to do the work, and not necessarily in any particular order other than to avoid having to disassemble to do something that I forgot to do earlier.

I begin with with the engine having been machined to 1st oversize, new pistons/rings, and the crank polished (was still in spec) - essentially a short block.  The head is ready as well having been reconditioned - new valve guides, new valve stem seals, valve job and machining of the head just enough to clean up (and stay within the minimum thickness).  Before assembling, all parts were cleaned and inspected.  Those that were painted before were repainted (block, brackets, pulleys, etc.).  Threaded holes were re-tapped to clean them up.

1- Disassembled, cleaned, inspected, lubricated, reassembled and installed oil pump and shield
2- Installed side covers on block (2 ea, one new and the aluminum cover with throttle pivot)
3- Installed 22mm plug in side of block (same side as covers)
4- Installed oil filter bracket
5- Installed two each alignment pins in top of block (removed to deck) - placed pins in freezer first to assist installation
6- Installed long chain guide, and realized the short guide had some issues with deterioration (will have to order)
7- Installed new oil pressure relief valve and large bolt that covers access
8- Installed small oil galley plug in front of block (light coat of sealant to threads as well)
9- Installed timing pointer
10- Installed front bronze bushing for Horizontal Timing Gear - placed bushing in freezer first to assist installation.  (The HTG doesn't look like it can be installed until I replace the short chain guide - an access issue.)

I installed the crankshaft seal in the upper pan (aluminum) yesterday and I will probably begin that installation this week while waiting on the guide.  I don't see any reason to not install that now since the crank, pistons/connecting rods, etc. are done, and I will still have good access through the lower oil pan opening.  Sound OK?

As I type this, I wonder if someone before hasn't already done the same, and I could use that as my reference?  I'll look and if anyone knows of a similar post/list, please advise.

Harry

Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Engine Reassembly
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 06:20:32 »
Make sure you installed the oil gallery plugs in the rear of the block and the front. They should be tight and threads coated with sealer.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Harry

• Gold
  • USA, TN, Knoxville
Re: Engine Reassembly
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 12:17:51 »
Thank you again Joe.  I have the rear oil galley plugs set out but I can't install them yet because the engine stand partially blocks access.  I will be sure to install them when I take the engine off of the stand to install the flex plate and tranny.

And thanks for taking the time to read my posts.  I'm conscientious about posting too much but I hate to have expertise and experience like yours available as I do this major work and not take advantage of it.

Harry
Harry Bailey
Knoxville, TN
1966 230SL
Automatic