Author Topic: 1971 heater levers positioning  (Read 2123 times)

Ferrolanoman

• Senior
  • USA, CO, Longmont
1971 heater levers positioning
« on: December 23, 2019, 20:53:52 »
My 4 heater/vent levers on the upper dash above the radio move smoothly back and forth but I am at a loss as to how they should be positioned for: a) heating and, b) for fresh outside air. Additionally, there's a round knob to the right of the levers, with a blue mark resembling a semicircular water drop, that turns clockwise and functions--I'm guessing here--like a rheostat turning on an invisible fan that's labelled DEFROST. Is this the sole source of forced heater and/or air?
I'll be much indebted if someone can tell me exactly where each of the four levers should point (extreme right, extreme left) for Heat and, then, for outside Air. Also when the fan works for either/both.
Thank you respondents and a Merry Christmas to all.
Ricardo

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
Re: 1971 heater levers positioning
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 21:40:20 »
Do you have an owner's manual?
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 22:14:18 »
You should have red and blue arrows on the chrome trim where the levers protrude. This is an indicator of the lever function and the range of air volume from maximum to closed.

Top left is blue. Lever positioned to far left is wide open to regulate incoming outside air. To the right is closed. This lever operates the damper in the fresh air scoop in front of the windshield.

Top right is gray. (Unless it was replaced with an aftermarket orange) This lever controls where the air is distributed. Defrost or directed toward feet areas or a little to both

The 2 bottom levers are red and control left and right heat supplied to the cabin. The left lever(on left hand drive cars), controls a damper above the blower fan that permits heated air to to be fan forced to the defrost and foot areas. This lever also controls the valve to the heater core via a linkage between the damper and heater core.

The right red lever permits heat to be distributed on the right side of the vehicle.

Interestingly, the round chrome vents on the right and left side of the dash only supply fresh air when the blue lever is open. They may also allow return air to the blower when heating with the fresh air damper closed.

The knob to the right of the controls is your blower fan speed control.

You can search this topic on this site and will find numerous discussions, photos and diagrams.

I hope this helps.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

Norm

• Silver
  • USA, TX, Wimberley
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 22:28:16 »
Same info as posted by doitwright but phrased a little different..  :)

Look at the wedges. 

The large end of each wedge is the maximum for that lever, the pointed end is the minimum

Blue is fresh air (more / less) air comes from the vent in front of the windshield

red is heat / temperature (more / less) heat comes from opening the vents that control air flow over the heat exchanger and opens the valve to allow coolant to the heat exchanger.  Both the heat exchanger and the vents are not visible but located behind the dash controls.

the arrows directs air "up" to defrost "down" to cabin (in between is mixed defrost / cabin)

Yes the knob on the right controls the fan.  All the way clockwise is maximum fan speed (the air flows to where you have the lever adjusted by the lever with the arrows.

If all of this still doesn't compute, have someone drive the car while you adjust the levers to see what effect each control has.

have fun.....  ;D

Norm
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 03:54:54 by Norm »
Norm
1966 230SL 162H Blue-Grey
1994 Acura NSX Formula Red
2024 Acura RDX A-Spec, White Pearl
2016 Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe Obsidian Black
2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Light / Dark Root Beer

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 23:14:29 »
Have a read of our Technical Manual as well!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 06:58:09 by Garry »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Ferrolanoman

• Senior
  • USA, CO, Longmont
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 00:16:12 »
Thank you Frank and Norm, your clear and detailed explanation/instructions are all I needed. As far as the owners manual being helpful, I'm not sure I agree. And the BBB is probably needlessly complicated. I do own both books plus a lot more M-B publications but nothing as readily understandable as the two responses provided above.