Author Topic: Pagoda from a country, that no longer exists  (Read 3405 times)

SEB

• Silver
  • Germany, Berlin, Berlin
Pagoda from a country, that no longer exists
« on: November 24, 2019, 20:12:18 »
In Berlin, the Motorworld 2019- an classic cars fair today just ended.
During this fair, the German Pagoda Club exhibited a very interesting Pagoda.
In my opinion, a story at least for the Mercedes Benz Classic Magazine.

I think, that it is important to  present this modest hero Pagoda from other side of the iron curtine. From a country, what do not exist anymore almost 30 years- it was the GDR (DDR).

Knowing, that the majority of this forum are Americans and foreigners, so  to paint the background I will refer to the Steven Spielberg movie Bridge of Spies - with Tom Hanks, where was painted perfectly the East Berlin background and the hostile environment of the Soviet zone country- the former DDR.

Knowing ,the negative attitude of the communist to West Germans Brands ( to underline it, they used  in the DDR for his officers mainly Russians car brands (Volga and LADA -FIAT 124)- but on top of this, for the best communists, there were also limited numbers of cars like- Citroen GSA/BX and the  government used Volvo 260/760 cars in the 70'/80'). So no place for a Mercedes!

I was never expecting ,that in this hostile environment it will be no place for a Pagoda. But like you can see on this photo it was!

According to the President of the German Pagoda Club- the owner of this Pagoda, was a famous, at that time in East Berlin restaurant owner, where all communistic players have to be. And he was assking them so long until he got the permit- for buying a new Pagoda in West Berlin and without any charges he imported it to East Berlin. So I do not know how it was possible- but he did it! Now the Pagoda belongs to the son of this restaurateur and is still in original shape- it is a 1971- 280SL
An incredible story.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 21:45:20 by SEB »
Sebastian
1967 250 SL, 4 Speed, Euro spec, Tunis beige (462H),

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Pagoda from behind the iron curtain
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 20:41:28 »
That's really cool and lovely to see it so close to the anniversary
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Pagoda from behind the iron curtain
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 20:55:02 »
Fascinating story, thank you Sebastian!
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Pagoda from a country, that no longer exists
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 11:06:09 »
He must have had some very dangerous friends!

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 13:56:41 »
Hi Seb, fascinating indeed , just wondering about the DDR sticker , was this mandatory back then ?  No GDR sticker?

Where these cars etc. transported by plane into West-Berlin , or could they be transported by DDR  road?

mark

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 15:59:52 »
Hi Seb, fascinating indeed , just wondering about the DDR sticker , was this mandatory back then ?  No GDR sticker?

Where these cars etc. transported by plane into West-Berlin , or could they be transported by DDR  road?

mark

DDR stood for Deutsche Demokratische Republik and DDR was the official country sticker. Like "D" was/is the official country sticker for Germany ("Deutschland"). Not "G" as in Germany.

"Transit" from West Germany to West Berlin was open. You could drive there, but had to remain on the shortest transit route. I drove my Alfa Romeo Spider to West Berlin in 1978. When we stopped for a break on a rest area, the car was soon surrounded by curious "East Germans".

A similar story to someone owning a "western" vehicle was told in our motorcycle club. There was someone who owned a 1979 Honda CBX.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 17:53:06 »
Hi,
this number plate (second edition: xxx 9-99 \0-00) was introduced Oct.1, 1974 (first edition from April 20, 1953: xx 99-99 \00-00). Therefore I would assume that is was bought as a used car.
The first letters IA-IZ \IQ were reserved for the capital of East-Berlin.
See https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Kfz-Kennzeichen_der_DDR_(1953%E2%80%931990).
...WRe