Author Topic: How we can have more fun with our Pagoda  (Read 4677 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
How we can have more fun with our Pagoda
« on: November 16, 2019, 21:38:55 »
Well, the answer is very simple “Let’s get together with other Pagoda owners within our area where we live”  You might say; “Dieter that is easier said than done” well may I quote the famous saying;-

“where there is a will there is a way”

Some groups in the US and Canada have done it several times and it always turns out to be fun (I refer you to our latest “Pagoda Notes” if you read them then you know what I mean).

Our European Members do it quite often get together in small groups may it be just for coffee or some other issue. You can arrange a small get together in your immediate area for coffee, or technical issues like going over one area of your car that you have worked on like; Oil Changes, The Linkage Tour, or location of all Grease Fittings, Maintenance checks you normally do. Sharing this sort of information during get-togethers is always valuable and fun.

Jonny B talked about this subject during the closing of our 2019 PagodaFest, someone asked about a contact list of members, etc. I mentioned that I will provide some steps for Members to get together in the area where they live. You see our Founding Members of this site have put together a great site, one area is the “View the members-list” This list is totally sortable. In this PDF file, I will include Screen Shots and some comments to help individuals locate and contact other members in their area for possible get-togethers. I will try to keep it as simple as possible;

Please open the attached PDF file below

Cheers, Dieter

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 19:27:47 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: How we can have more fun with our Pagoda
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 22:38:28 »
How about having a day next spring where we can get together and do a basic check up on your car? Fluids, chassis lube, check your tire pressure and basic stuff like that.

The 190SL Group issued a small glove box index of all their members that you could bring with you when travelling. Basic info like name, phone number, and area they lived if they wanted any of it in the booklet. Our system is fine but it falls short in that anyone you want to contact has to see your request on line and then answer before you can get a hold of them. That has certain advantages in terms of situations where no one is in any particular hurry for a response but that's often not the case while travelling.

1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 00:00:08 »
Hi Dan,

To your first point, as you know I can only come to your place if I put Linda into a care home as I had to do to attend your 3 day get-together of the Clans last August. So for the past few years I have had maintenance to my Pagoda done locally. However, your suggestion to check out someone’s car while you have get together at your place is certainly a good one. We certainly enjoyed our August last get together at your place very much.

To your second point, I don’t think our Membership would agree to having there personal information out there like phone numbers etc. Our site has this excellent dBASE one can sort by location or any other column that allows one to get in contact with one another.

Cheers,

Dieter

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 07:18:07 »
Hi Dan,

To your first point, as you know I can only come to your place if I put Linda into a care home as I had to do to attend your 3 day get-together of the Clans last August. So for the past few years I have had maintenance to my Pagoda done locally. However, your suggestion to check out someone’s car while you have get together at your place is certainly a good one. We certainly enjoyed our August last get together at your place very much.

To your second point, I don’t think our Membership would agree to having there personal information out there like phone numbers etc. Our site has this excellent dBASE one can sort by location or any other column that allows one to get in contact with one another.

Cheers,

Dieter

I'm aware of that. When the 190 guys did the member's roster the internet was around but not everyone had it 20 years ago. As long as you have access to the internet you can contact anyone providing they answer within a couple of days ( many don't answer at all ) and you're still in their area. Not particularly useful while travelling unless you plan well in advance. Problems while travelling usually don't give you advance warnings.   
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 12:21:32 »
We'll gather the Pagodas in London and have Dan come to us :-)
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 20:15:06 »
Dan, I realize and understand what you are saying, I have encountered this first hand by organizing a group of Pagoda’s last year to travel from Niece, France to Bordeaux, France. I guess I must have posted over a 100 e-mails as well as posts in this forum to organize the route, accommodations, lunch stops etc etc. It still was fun to organize.

The issue of a contact list came up during question period on our last day after dinner at PagodaFest. It turned out to be a sensitive issue. I personally find that our dBASE for the (Membership-listing) is serving this purpose and is available for Members in this forum. This is why I prepared this post to provide some pointers for Members that are not 100 % familiar with what is available here.

You mentioned traveling, I think it is fairly simple. As you know you can use this forum and post your intention of the route you plan to take (like Garry did). One can also use our Membership-listing to PM Members along the way, if you plan to meet them for a cup of coffee. I had plans to do this during my road round trip (Sept. 26 to Oct. 15) to San Diego PagodaFest, I then decided against it since I would be meeting plenty of Members in San Diego.

Dieter

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 21:17:18 »
Do you think a travel section on these Forums would be a good idea? I belong to another organization where they have a "hosting group" where members can indicate their willingness to serve as hosts. Even if it only helps once in a while, it's still a good thing. Better still of course would be an interactive map. But that requires some fancy programming skill
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 19:41:26 »
Peter, I think so if one would prepare a map one intents to travel using Google other Members might post there nearby location and one would be able to get together for coffee and a brief meet. Why don't you run to join the Board of this site here now that you are retired :) then you can relate your idea to the Group of Board Members for consideration and/or addition?

Garry Marks as you know did something similar for his trip to PagodaFest (he posted in the Events area) and he was able to meet quite a few Members along the way.

I hope that my initial post and PDF file I posted here will provide some guidance to Members that wish to meet other Members in their immediate area or at least within a 100-mile diametrical area.

Cheers,

Dieter
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 19:51:55 by Rolf-Dieter »