Author Topic: The Museum Stay is over...  (Read 3693 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
The Museum Stay is over...
« on: October 30, 2019, 18:33:50 »
Well, it was a lovely year...

My Pagoda went into hibernation at the Automotive Hall of Fame museum in Dearborn, MI one year ago. It was a nice place to winter. Turned into a one year stay, as we prepared our house for sale, sold it in August and moved to central MI on the way next year to NC. Last thing I needed in a house for sale is a pristine Pagoda in the garage with strangers walking through all the time.

Anyway, the car has exited the museum, and yesterday before the snow starts flying here, I moved it up to Motorwerks in Commerce Township. It will get a new door, thanks in part to our friend and member here Steve Friefeld who went out of his way to help me source a door in New Jersey a couple of years ago. Motorwerks will remove my 230SL driver's door and put on the 280SL door that Steve located for me. Will require a bit of work to get it to close correctly and get those gaps perfect.

Shown is the car on dollys exiting the museum; a shot in downtown Dearborn as we made our way to the highway, and its new winter home at Motorwerks. The astute among you will note it's not the only Pagoda in for work...

BTW, after one year it started up flawlessly. Ran like a champ. Will hope to have it back for Summer 2020.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
Re: The Museum Stay is over...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 13:52:45 »
what's wrong with the door on now?  Is a 230 door different from a 280 door?
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: The Museum Stay is over...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 14:29:04 »
what's wrong with the door on now?  Is a 230 door different from a 280 door?

First, the door on the driver’s side was replaced decades ago with a junkyard door that my uncle put on, when these cars were just old cars of no particular value. He sourced the door probably at some junkyard on Long Island, New York, where he lived, and had his father’s taxi garage body shop crew in the Bronx fit it...and one of the other things this elite crew did was repair a rear-ended tail panel by simply welding another one on top of the damaged one. The former mess was cut out in the restoration and done properly, but the driver’s door has never closed properly like an MB door should and never matched the perfect functionality of the passenger door. Over the years, the drivers door has gotten worse. At various points the lock would not function, and other times the door would sort of pop open when going over a bump—proof that the fit and locking mechanisms were not right.

As to difference, yes there is a difference in internals, particularly for the mechanisms inside. On the 230SL the locking latch is connected to the locking mechanism with a straight rod. On a 280SL door, in the middle of the door, the shaft actually is broken into two pieces, with a pivot, so essentially the action is reversed. My guess is there is less stress on two short locking rods than one long one. Call it a “hidden improvement.”  So on my car, when both doors are locked, one of the little levers on the top corner of the door panel was pulled out and one was pushed in! Nobody knew this but me.

Fitting the new door will require a bit of body work to allow it to be completely flush with the body panels all around, and to ensure the gap is uniform all around as well too. My guy at Motorwerks has done this before—as you can see in the photo a few Pagodas are there (and there are more in the shop that are not seen)—so I feel confident I’ll come away from this in 6-8 months with something way better than went in. It’s not going to be cheap but aside from an oil filter nothing is on these cars...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid