Author Topic: Alternator Light  (Read 1910 times)

Rick in Dallas

Alternator Light
« on: October 27, 2019, 23:18:04 »
Hello, all--

I did a quick look-through of the technical manual, as well as a search of posts, and I'm thinking my alternator is bad.  Today the dash light came on while driving, for the first time in the fifteen years I've owned the car.  Since I've never seen it come before while driving, I had to look it up.  The alternator is nothing I've ever thought about or had issues with before, and judging from appearance, mine is ancient if not original.  I'll call my mechanic tomorrow, but I'm wondering what I might be in for.  Should I disconnect the battery for now?

Apologies.  I should've posted under electrical forum.

Rick
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 23:24:45 by Rick in Dallas »

jeffc280sl

Re: Alternator Light
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 02:07:26 »
there is a condition where if brake fluid level is low alternator warning lights come on .  you can search for this and read about it.  check you brake fluid level

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 02:09:30 »
Yes, most likely the alternator. They do have brushes which eventually wear down. It's a fairly easy job to remove it and then replace it or have it rebuilt. Check all your electrical connections and plugs at the alternator first just to make sure it is not an issue with something like that.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

BlackJack

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Netherlands, South Holland, rotterdam
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 19:49:19 »
I had this last weekend. Took it for a drive and dashboard light came on, being erratic i.e. blinking, going off when accelerating then staying and going off when foot of gas pedal. Didn't know what was going on so called my garage and they suspected (based on my description alone) that it was the alternator.
The garage recommended that I fully charge my battery before bringing the car in for physical check. That meant that I kept her on trickle charge for a couple of days before making the 60km trip to the garage. Made it without problem but driving 'on pins'.
The alternator was swapped for a reconditioned unit and now all is well.
So to your question: I would charge the battery up before driving to the garage.