Author Topic: Damaged Wheel - Beauty Rings - FML!  (Read 2006 times)

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
Damaged Wheel - Beauty Rings - FML!
« on: October 22, 2019, 20:15:03 »
This past weekend I took on the install of my refurbished master brake cylinder and booster.  When I went on to take the wheels off to bleed the brakes, I completely spaced out and used the pry-bar to remove the dog-dish, damaging all four beauty trim rings...   :-\   I feel terrible about being so dumb, but at least I have a few avenues to pursue to fix, and was looking for some input from others that may have had similar issues.

The rings on the car are stainless steel reproductions, not the factory chrome ones.  I think I may be able to take these to someone that can re-shape them... anyone have experience with this? 

I also have the original rings that I was going to have re-chromed and may put those in the car instead of these.  I just don't like the little clips that are needed to mount those.  Anyone have a preference on them?

Input much appreciated.

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: Damaged Wheel - Beauty Rings - FML!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 21:08:39 »
I just recently removed my stainless rings and installed a set of rechromed factory rings. The difference in appearance is night and day. Rechromed factory rings are installed in pic below. Note the difference in finish/appearance. That being said if you do a lot of driving you may want to keep the stainless rings on the car and keep the set of rechromed factories to use for show. As far as trying to repair the stainless rings it may not be cost effective. There are quite a few aftermarket stainless sets that wont break the bank.

https://www.amazon.com/Polished-Stainless-Steel-Beauty-Rings/dp/B00JS9WRZU/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 21:34:01 by Tyler S. »
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 21:26:23 »
Hi Tyler, thanks for the response.

I took the factory rings to the local chrome shop (by local I mean 1 hour away), where I was told it will cost roughly $100 apiece to re-chrome, and will take until late January for them to get to it.  The work the guy does is top notch, and since the original rings are in pretty good condition other than very minor damage and flaked-off chrome, I'm happy to pay up to have these redone. 

I also loved the inexpensive short term solution you shared from Amazon - I may just go ahead and buy those in the meantime, so I don't have to look at the dented ones that constantly remind me of my stupidity, at least until the originals are fixed.

Thanks again.

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 00:15:02 »
Depending on how bad the creases are you may be able to bang them back into straight and then use a file to take the bump down and then sand them with finer and finer emery cloth until they look ok.   I wouldn't do that with chrome but the stainless could be done - Its actually quite relaxing and when I pounded out dents on my beauty rings from my Chevy and then polished them they came out excellent.   The trick I found was creating a buck (piece of wood that fits the inside contours of the beauty ring)  on an oscillating spindle sander in my neighbour's garage.   Once that was done I hammered away and filed and sanded and polished and all four turned out ok.   I could have bought new ones for $25.00 each but for me it was a "lets see if I can fix this" sort of thing.   Then I got a cheap autobody hammer and dolly kit at a garage sale and haven't used it since.

There should be videos on the internet - check eastwood/stainless trim/dent removal etc.   it shouldn't take too long to get some great winter/driver quality rings that you can replace when you get the chrome ones redone.   
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50