Author Topic: Engine stops on the road....!  (Read 1690 times)

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes, LA ROCHELLE
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
Engine stops on the road....!
« on: October 03, 2019, 16:20:21 »
I had an issue today on the road as i was testing the steering after refurbishing the steering box and solved  ( may be incompletely) the problem of the engine which was climbing in the revs when i started . ) anyway i was driving normaly with the first gear engaged , then the second gear , engine high in the revs without problem , but when i have engaged the 3 gear,  the engine cut off as if there was no more electricity ...! i tried the 4th gear with the same cut of... but when i started  from a parking and tried the first and second gear : no problem   , the car is ok
Some one has an idea ?
It seems as it was an electrical failure but i don't understand why it doesn't happen with the 1 and 2 gear ?
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Re: Engine stops on the road....!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 16:53:49 »
Check for a sticky or stuck switch on the fire wall just below the heater inlet hose next to the brake booster.

It happened to me once. The switched was stuck depressed. This cuts off fuel I believe in 3rd and 4th.
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

yves

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 17:15:05 »
thank's fatboy, i have solved the issue i am the culprit... :-[
When i have refurbished the steering box i have plugged a connector located at the clutch pedal inside the cockpit . That connector was initialy unplugged... !
a short test in the garden and the 3dr gear goes   ...  ::)
I am stupid.. !
Here is the switch at the clutch pedal
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 17:30:50 by yves »
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

jeffc280sl

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 22:06:15 »
You seem like the kind of guy who likes to understand the details of why something happened.  Here are some pics of the emission system for our manual SL's.  Its a difficult system to maintain and for this reason I removed it from my car.  There are switches on the manual transmission for gears 3 and 4.  These switches relate to the switch on the clutch pedal to engage the fuel cut off solenoid while coasting.  These switches can get out of adjustment or dirty causing them to fail and leave you stranded.   
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 23:04:37 by jeffc280sl »

yves

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 10:59:09 »
Thank's JEFF it's exactly what i wanted ….! Wher do theese pics come from…?   The "BBB" ?

jeffc280sl

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 12:20:11 »
You're welcome.  The pics are from the BBB.  I have a copy on CDROM. 

Ferrolanoman

• Senior
  • USA, CO, Longmont
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 13:11:17 »
Jeff,
PLEASE give us with as much detail as possible how to disable this complex redundant system--what to unplug, what to remove and what to leave alone. I live in mortal fear of driving my 1970 4-speed far from my house due to possible hidden impediments such as this.
Thank you in advance.
Ricardo

jeffc280sl

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 20:31:34 »
Hey Ricardo,

Nice to hear from another manual transmission owner.  The emission switches, relays etc. all work towards the fuel cut off solenoid to reduce emissions.  Removing the wires to this device will prevent a component failure from shutting off fuel to the FIP.  Its simple to remove the wires and reinstall if desired.  I made a blank aluminum plate and gasket to replace the fuel shut off solenoid which sits in a box for safe keeping. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 21:46:55 by jeffc280sl »

Ferrolanoman

• Senior
  • USA, CO, Longmont
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 13:50:12 »
Thank you Jeff. I'll take a look at my engine this weekend and locate the solenoid and see what wires are still connected on mine. One thing for sure, things will NOT look as clean as yours!
Ricardo