Author Topic: Valve stem seals or guides & seals  (Read 1270 times)

FresnoBob

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Fresno
Valve stem seals or guides & seals
« on: October 02, 2019, 20:24:16 »
My 230 SL has only 72,000 original kilometers, but consumes oil and Rick (280 SL owner) noticed blue puffs of smoke.  The car sat for 24 years without being driven.  I bought new valve stem seals, but another mechanic has suggested that if you are going to the replace the seals, you might as well replace the valve guides at the same time.  Does anyone have any recommendations about this? 
Bob Comstock
1966 230 SL Euro Auto
2017 AMG C43 Cabriolet

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: Valve stem seals or guides & seals
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 21:43:57 »
Do you notice the puffs of smoke during Acceleration when the car was just Decelerated in gear? This is usually a hint the guides and seals are worn. If the valve guides are worn out then replacing the seals would only be a temporary band aid. It would be a lot like replacing a water pump seal while leaving a bad pump bearing, If that makes sense. You could try the seals first and check lateral play of the valve stems when you have the springs off. Sometimes you can get lucky.
Tyler
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Re: Valve stem seals or guides & seals
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 07:02:26 »
Hi, - my 2 cents -
depending on the analysis Tyler suggests, it's necessary to change both. But is there more to it than just changing the valve guides, e.g. valves and seats have to be adjusted and when you start with this the whole head could be refurbuished.
Replacing the seals is not much work, it can be done without removing the head but check here special things for 230 (guides with and w/o nuts, glueing seals).
...WRe