Author Topic: Is the horn bracket a part that can be ordered?  (Read 1712 times)

beachbear

• Regular
  • USA, HI, Kailua
Is the horn bracket a part that can be ordered?
« on: October 01, 2019, 02:45:17 »
I while back I lost my right horn on I90. Ultimately the cause turned out to be that the bracket welded to frame failed. I'd like to attach another horn, but first I need to come up with a bracket.

Is this a part that can ordered? Is my best solution to have a bracket fabricated based on the left bracket?
David White
'69 280sl automatic, 3rd owner since '82

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Re: Is the horn bracket a part that can be ordered?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 06:29:25 »
Hi,
Afaik the bracket is part of the horn and has no seperate part number.
...WRe

beachbear

• Regular
  • USA, HI, Kailua
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 06:42:45 »
Thanks for your reply. But I think you refer to the "leaf spring" like arm that attaches the horn to the bracket I'm asking about. The bracket I'm missing on my right side appears to be welded to part of the subframe. It's more than a bit of "u-channel" steel. It's a wedge that widens at the edge that attaches to the horn assembly.
David White

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 07:17:34 »
Hi,
I think this is part of the chassis. See more pictures here:https://www.pagodentreff.de/diskussionsforum/threads/montageort-der-hupe.5172/.
...WRe

beachbear

• Regular
  • USA, HI, Kailua
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 08:16:28 »
Well! That was a lot of information. Thanks! It seems there were two brackets that were welded to the chassis. One for 230s and then somewhere a simpler one was adopted for 280's. There seems to be one modification to the mounting that is an actual part number: A113 540 02 73, but that doesn't bolt to my chassis. There is one photo in the topic entry that shows a way to bolt the horn to the chassis. The photo shows, what appears to be, a weld failure very similar to mine. As I contemplate my options I will adopt this first. Thanks again, WRe!
David White

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 09:15:49 »
You have something here: https://www.sls-hh-shop.de/main/en/62-body-frame-panelling-62-body-front-c-3_2340_84

The part A113 540 02 73 you talk about is for RHD cars.

I did not find the brackets like you see on SLS picture in the EPC. Could be they were just part of chassis and do not come as spare parts. Or I am just too clumsy to find them...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 10:25:41 »
@Beachbear,

I started to investigate this exact same issue for a freinds Aug 67 250sl. He was missing the right side horn. When I went to put a new one on I noticed the bracket that is welded to the sub frame had broken off (weld failure ).

Coincidentlly,  another Aug 67 250sl in the neighborhood (only 93 Vin numbers apart) suffered the same fate a couple of years earlier.

My Aug 68 280sl has a much simpler "U" bracket like the one in your picture.

So somewhere between Aug 67 thru Aug 68 they made the design change.  Or maybe it's just a 280sl change.

I have attached a picture of left hand side bracket of the 250sl that has missing right bracket.

The earlier bracket has two separate parts PLUS the leaf spring then the horn while the later bracket is just has the leaf spring horn bracket bolted to it.

I would also be very interested if this bracket is available. If not,  I think the owner just wants to take simpler route of fabricating the simpler late style bracket and welding in place.

1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 21:22:54 »
If you are looking for the chassis mount bracket as shown in “beachbear’s” photo, that should be easy enough to fab from a piece of steel channel.

Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic