Author Topic: VIN tag embossing  (Read 2034 times)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
VIN tag embossing
« on: September 30, 2019, 14:46:49 »
After restoring the rest of my car my door sill VIN tag looked a little scruffy.  I found a replacement bare tag from Authentic Classics and after looking around a bunch I found a guy who did a great job embossing it.

His name is Bob and his email address is boxweed@thebest.net   He is in the US.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: VIN tag embossing
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 14:58:48 »
Good resource Pat!
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

zak

• Silver
  • USA, NJ, Bernardsville
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 22:06:53 »
Boy that will spruce up the entry.
Or in a euro with new fire wall pad to match.
Don't loose the original though.
Looks great.

How would a concours judge judge this new tag install I wonder ?

jz
1967 250 SL
1983 280 SL
2015 ML 250 Bluetec
2007 ML CDI
2004 E 320 Wagon
1999 E300 Turbodiesel

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 00:38:39 »
Original is with The title. Hard to tell from original.

wayne R

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 02:05:51 »
Hi Shvegel, great  replacement,  its a bit like our  Pagodas, even though its
a replacement  tag ,its not the original,  every little detail still shows its a replacement,
thickness of letters, space gap between numbers, letters, and star, etc,etc,.
As they say its only original ones,dont lose your original.
regards./

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 14:45:09 »
The tag for my car either disappeared in the restoration, or was removed during a prior re-spray decades ago. In any case, lost to memory. It had always been my goal to get a proper reproduction., and I indeed did this--years ago.

There was someone selling the repro tags, but the "variable data" was engraved, not embossed. That is certainly not correct, not even close.
So I managed to get a couple of tag blanks, w/o any engraving. They were spot-on correct, made in Germany, using the same acid etch process as the originals. Sadly, the MB lawyers shut him down. However, I had surrepticiously got the contact in Germany who actually made the blanks--that was unknown to MB!

While this dance was going on--it took nearly a year, our European friends were reporting that you could order the data tags from the Classic Center in Germany. Many of us contacted the CC, only to find out that they will not sell to the USA. I managed to put the CC in the USA in touch with their counterpart in Germany to see if they could offer the same tag service in USA. It took a very long time, but finally they were able to supply--at great cost might I add--a data tag.

Unfortunately even more of the data on the tag was removed from "fixed" to "variable" and all of it was engraved. That was not correct and would fool nobody.

Knowing that the embossing is identical to what the US Military uses for "dog tags", I went to the manufacturer of the dog-tag embossing machine. I sent them the two blanks. I had my VIN data embossed on one, and another member here's embossed on the other.

To further add to the authenticity, I used rivets (not screws) to mount the tag in place.

Curiously, the tag--correct for my time of production for USA spec cars, says Tire pressure: see inside filler pipe cover.  Of course we do not have a filler pipe cover, but that is the tag original to this time.

I've attached my reproduction, and an original with a similar VIN to time of production; that one was photographed on an original unrestored car...so note the rivets.

Note also that if you have anything from a 1935 Packard, a 1939 Delahaye, a 1952 Fiat, or any year GM, Ford or Chrysler product, there are many firms supplying things like data tags so one can do an authentic restoration. Even if you cannot find exactly what you are looking for, there are those who will make it for you. They will not, however, do something with the Mercedes-Benz or Daimler information on it. And, please don't ask me about details and names on who did my tag--that ship sailed a long time ago...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 15:09:44 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid