Author Topic: Sun visor parts?  (Read 1558 times)

rbouch8828

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Framingham
  • 280SL Mfg date AUG 1969
Sun visor parts?
« on: September 28, 2019, 16:20:58 »
I had my interior trim redone by Heritage and they recovered my sun visors. In doing so, they seem to have removed these parts which I believe are to clip into the catch in the center. I am not sure how they should be re-installed. Anyone been through this before?

I also have the end mounts unattached. Do they just push into the ends?

Best,
Roland
RB

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
Re: Sun visor parts?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 18:15:36 »
Roland,

For the hinges (that you call the end mounts): you have to first loosen the chrome screw on the outside of the sunvisor (which adjusts the internal clamp tightness) so that the shaft goes in without too much pushing. As you insert the shaft, you have to rotate it so that the tab that sticks out on the shaft (see your second picture) slides through the gap in the clamp. Once inserted all the way in, you can tighten the screw on the clamp that you loosened in the first place.

For the other pieces, let's call them the swivel pins: the thinner pins should insert into the hollow swivel shaft. You should feel a spring inside when you insert the pins. Once they're together, you have to insert them into the seats which are inside the sunvisor. The spring action will push the two ends apart into their respective seats. It's a bit tedious.

Good luck,

Meyer
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

rbouch8828

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Framingham
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 18:28:11 »
Hello Meyer,

The sun visors themselves have no screws or any other hardware. Everything was removed by Heritage. Either that, or it is covered by the leather they added. In any event, the visor is very plain, without any hardware, so there are no screws on the outside of the sun visor.
RB

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 01:49:14 »
Hi Roland,

Have a look at the picture below, that I got off ebay, that shows a set of (weathered) OEM sunvisors. I've put arrows pointing out the screws I mentioned. If Heritage did not leave the screws accessible, I don't see how you can loosen or tighten the clamp on the hinge. Tightening that clamp sufficiently allows you to adjust the sunvisor so that it can rotate, but not flop around.

Without knowing if there is still a clamp in there, you could try pushing the hinge shaft in. Just be careful about that tab on the shaft, which, at a certain point of insertion, normally only allows you to push in the shaft in one orientation. i.e. if you feel too much resistance, don't force it to the point of damaging the sunvisor. If that happens, maybe you can call Heritage and see if they have suggestions.

On the other end, in the attached picture, you can also catch a glimpse of how the two pieces of the swivel fit together (circled). On the right end, you can just see the thinner internal pin going into the hollow swivel shaft. As I said the internal spring forces each end into a seat inside the sunvisor---assuming that is still in there. You could try poking a thin tool in the hole to see if you can feel the seats.

Without knowing just what Heritage has done internally, it hard to know exactly what to do.

Meyer
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 01:53:27 by mnahon »
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

rbouch8828

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Framingham
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 13:07:28 »
Hello Meyer,

Perfect. That is a great help.

It looks like I will have to contact Heritage to find out about the screws.

Best,
Roland
RB