Author Topic: Proper Installation of top cover release cable  (Read 1631 times)

NYC-MB280SL

• Junior Level
  • USA, NY, New York
Proper Installation of top cover release cable
« on: September 21, 2019, 19:42:57 »
I'm trying to install a new soft top cover release cable and am having trouble properly setting it up. This cable is shown here...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Soft-Top-Cable-fits-mercedes-230sl-250sl-280sl-113-w113-63-to-71-/282681446641

I've tried two new cables and both cable have snapped. All three release latches in the boot are loose and freely moving.

I was wondering if there a proper sequence in the installation of the cable and the proper tension settings on the springs in the right latch and on the center soft top release pin?

Peter Paris

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Proper Installation of top cover release cable
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 05:26:58 »
I just installed one of these. When installed properly the release handle will work smoothly and with little effort. Make sure not to twist and crimp the cable when you tighten down the cable clamp in the middle and the end (driver's side). If you have crimped or bent the cable, remove it from the housing and carefully straighten and lube it. Attach the passenger side first. Remove the center mechanism from the car and install the cable into it. Note that the cable must be routed between the two sheet metal levers and the cable clamp-nut should point forward. Before snugging this clamp nut draw the cable so that the passenger side latch mechanism is just ready to engage. Now lightly snug the center clamping nut so it is just contacting the sheet metal levers. Temporarily install the center mechanism and check to see if both the center and passenger side are adjusted so that they are ready to release when the cable is activated. Adjust if needed. Once the correct position for the center cable clamp is located, remove the mechanism and tighten it securely without twisting or bending the wire cable. You can now mount the center mechanism. For the final connection at the driver's side, all the hardware must be in place and correct. The cable clamp must be able to secure the cable and also allow it's pivot when the handle is pulled. If the cable pivot does not slightly rotate when the handle is pulled, then it will twist the cable core eventually fatiguing the wire and it will break. I like to remove the mechanism which clamps the cable from the car, check it, file and smooth any roughness or burs, then thread the cable through it making sure that it's able to rotate and not twist and kink, after the cable clamp nut is tightened. Re-install the mechanism when you are satisfied it is operating correctly. Be careful not twist and bend any cables when tightening their clamps.You should adjust all three mechanisms so that they begin to activate at nearly the same time when the handle is activated.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

NYC-MB280SL