Author Topic: None standard relay  (Read 2484 times)

g2000tpembroke

• Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, Pembroke
None standard relay
« on: September 19, 2019, 15:25:22 »
Hi I am hoping somebody can throw some light on this relay found it tucked up under the ledge where the relays sit it’s been rewired  from the to cables from the thermo time switch which when I bought the car was disconnected wires cut and insulated.
I never had a chance to run the car properly before we started the recommissioning mainly because of the state of the fuel and the electrics, I have checked the thermo time switch in hot water and the  oms seem fine the  the centre relay that has been disconnected looks fine inside. Can’t understand why you would add in a separate relay and leave the wires to the thermo switch disconnected.
Still a  few days off turning the key and trying to start the car it’s been in storage fo many years but hoped someone might give some ideas.
Hope this makes sense.

Regards Gary
1967 Mercedes 250sl
1962 Jaguar Etype 3.8 Coupe

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Re: None standard relay
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 17:02:53 »
Hi,
your relais is a changeover relais which can be used to "turn on" AND "turn off" electric appliances normally with high power consumption.
It's not a part of our cars.
...WRe

g2000tpembroke

• Junior Level
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 17:09:36 »
Thanks WRe
I know it’s not a Mercedes part but can’t understand why someone would disconnect the original relay even if it’s faulty then plug this in and not connect it to the thermo switch it’s supposed to control .
Have checked by continuity That it’s connected to the cold start valve
Regards Gary
1967 Mercedes 250sl

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 17:52:06 »
Hi,
maybe there was a problem with the CSV and your pre-owner switched it manually on (engine start) and off (engine warm).
...WRe

g2000tpembroke

• Junior Level
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 21:00:50 »
Thanks WRe
Just can’t understand why you would replace a relay and not connect the thermo switch will have to wait until we get the car ready to start and do a full check including the CSV.

Regards Gary
1967 Mercedes 250sl

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 07:45:15 »
One of the things I always look for when I buy something that has been sitting a long while is what put it off the road?  It looks to me like someone was trying to diagnose a malfunctioning cold start system.  Based on what you have said I am guessing the cold start system quit working and whomever was diagnosing it was just trying stuff rather than properly diagnosing the problem.  The odd relay is standard stuff in pretty much any European car  so they grabbed one off a dead car and tried it then went on to start messing with the thermo time switch, pulled the wires off and then the project halted for a long nap.

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 14:20:09 »
Thanks WRe
Just can’t understand why you would replace a relay and not connect the thermo switch will have to wait until we get the car ready to start and do a full check including the CSV.

Perhaps they wanted CSV to be activated by something different than Thermo Time Switch, e.g. a simple manual switch attached under the dashboard.

Perhaps, as Shvegel says, they did not know what they were doing and just left it half way.

Also: not sure how you checked Thermo Time Switch - there are no "ohms" there that are important and can be fine or not. It is supposed to provide ground to terminal "W" for some time depending on temperature, always when cold. You may want to check again. And: terminal G IS NOT ground! - this is in case you work on TTS, easy to mix, may cause smoke and fire.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

g2000tpembroke

• Junior Level
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 19:34:05 »
Thanks for the reply Pawel.
I think we have solved the problem on refitting the inlet manifold and the CVS we realised that the valve and spring were missing so we can only assume that somebody had not realised and was trying to cure the obvious over fuelling problem, they thought that the relay was bad and replaced it with the none standard one and when that didn’t work they disconnected the thermo  time switch and insulated the wires then gave up.
We checked and reconnected the original relay tested the thermo time switch as per the tec manual all good the only thing not working was the time switch but we cleaned and reset the points and now all ok.
Hopefully when the new valve and spring arrives we will have it sorted.
Regards Gary
1967 Mercedes 250sl