Author Topic: Replacing Euro Headlight Reflector  (Read 2377 times)

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
Replacing Euro Headlight Reflector
« on: August 29, 2019, 22:47:47 »
I need to replace my original Euro main headlight reflectors.  At the same time, I want to replace my H4 bulbs with LED lights.

I understand no Genuine MB reflectors (# 000 826 1478) for LHD cars are available.  Does anyone have experience with aftermarket reflectors such as those sold via MB Classics?  Does anyone know if they are chrome, silver or ??

Or............. can anyone recommend a vendor that you have recently used for these reflectors ...... and your experience??

Once reflectors are sourced, I will purchase the Classic Car LED's, which I believe have proven themselves.  I'm assuming these bulbs will fit my P45T base with the adapter provided with the lights.

Please advise if I am missing anything with the reflector/LED conversion.

Thanks in advance.
Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
Re: Replacing Euro Headlight Reflector
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 07:56:51 »
The LEDs should fit fine, tell Classic Car LEDs that you have a W113 Pagoda, Duncan there has all the details  of the correct spacer to fit.
 You can get Bright White or the more classical white for your LEDs.
You can also get an upgraded side light LED that gives a much brighter side light.

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 21:52:13 »
Don,
Are your sure the reflectors you have sought are left or right handed. I replaced a reflector with a purchased generic reflector, no mention of left or right, and did not have any problem with it.  The left or right comes into play with the glass which is definitly LH/RH and how they are beveled in manufacture for the LHD or RHD cars, rather than the lens/reflector which can be set to any angle you wish with the left/right and up/down adjusters. They are silver plated.  Chrome plate will not work to reflect light in a headlight.

In fact now driving a RHD car in US I reset my lenses to the right to compensate for the left angled glass lenses.

Garry
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 21:58:22 by Garry »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 22:59:09 »
Thanks, Garry.    I have been following your USA and Canada trip.

Regarding my reflectors, I'm not sure I know enough to address the possible issues you have identified.  All I know is that the headlights are the Euro type...... and hopefully the glass is for a LHD vehicle.  I will check for part numbers if I can find them. 

The car came to the USA from Italy.  I have found after market reflectors that are specific to a LHD Pagoda.  Thanks to your advice to go "silver", I need to confirm that the reflectors from MB Classics are, indeed, silver. 

Paul:  I do appreciate your comments regarding the LED lights.  Did you eliminate the small reflectors that clip in front of our original bulbs?  I believe I left it off when I converted to the H4 bulbs.  Will have to open the light up to freshen my memory.

Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 07:39:54 »

Don,

I do not remember removing  anything internally from the headlights to fit the LEDs.

I SEEM to remember that the reflectors are the same for LHD and RHD, except the are fitted upside down for for one, so that the sidelight bulb is either above or below the main bulb .....BUT I may be wrong  here !

Have fun

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 19:47:22 »
I just stumbled on this website
https://www.headlightexperts.com/carfinder/?find=1965-mercedes-benz-230sl-556580

I wonder if it's compatible with our reflectors. Anyone tried this product?
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 21:54:51 »
Don,

If the car has come from Italy you could assume that the glasses are correct for LHD.  Again if the reflectors are coming from MB Classic, you can assume that they are correct..

If your reflectors are dull and need replacing check the price of new lenses before having existing ones re silvered,. It maybe cheaper to go with new lenses. They are pretty easy to remove and replace and re set the heights.  If your existing lenses have been in for a long period, then you probably should replace the rubber seals between the glass and the light unit and there is a kit for the alignment set of small rubbers that are needed as well.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric