Author Topic: For [USA] Collegiate Basketball Fans  (Read 5778 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
For [USA] Collegiate Basketball Fans
« on: August 28, 2019, 14:43:12 »
For those members here who are fans of college basketball, you may be interested in this new documentary just released called The Team That Saved Coach K.

It is about the turnaround of the Duke (yeah, everyone hates Duke, blah blah blah) University men's basketball program with the incoming recruiting class of 1982. It was just released, and is part of the ESPN 30 for 30 sports documentaries. See more about it here:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211809519  It airs on the ESPN ACC Network.

I just happened upon it on Monday night, quite accidentally--and only during the last 15 minutes. Thankfully due to my YouTube-TV streaming service, when I recorded these last 15 minutes, the full episode became available and I watched it last night.

Those astute viewers will note that despite this stellar incoming class in 1982--which was ranked the top recruiting class in the nation at that time, they had a pretty dismal season. It wasn't until the following year, the 1983-1984 season, that they started to come alive. One reason for that was a magnificent player from Virginia, one Tommy Amaker, a 6' freshman point guard.

So why this posting? Tommy is one of our members here, with a nice 280SL. When he coached at UofM from 2001-2007, he participated in some MBCA and other Concours events, and one of our local MBCA events was comp tickets to a Michigan basketball game. He also has another classic Mercedes in the stable...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid