Author Topic: Bl$#@y window adjustment  (Read 2032 times)

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
Bl$#@y window adjustment
« on: August 20, 2019, 12:47:44 »
Hi,

In the scheme of things, I`m not a complete mug - as far as being a mechanic that is I wasn`t at the head of the queue  when they were handing out mechanical aptitude but  there were many more behind me than in front...........why, I have even removed and replaced the heater core from under the dash so I can`t be completely hopeless BUT trying to adjust a side window is making me feel very totally useless.

There is a great article in the tech manual which I followed slavishly but to no avail. I virtually spent the whole day on it yesterday for absolutely no result. If you think about the number of adjustment points there are, there must be hundred of optionjosd
 available and I figure I have tried every combination.

The window sits nicely against the rubber when it is fully up and the door is closed. Just enough pressure to hold it firm. The problem is the fore and aft adjustment. At the bottom of the front there is too much gap - 5mm between the glass and the runner  and at the rear up top same same.  The fix logically would be to pivot the glass at the rear lower corner. I have tried, and tried, and tried etc etc  but no change.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

cheers
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Bl$#@y window adjustment
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 15:18:31 »
If the mountain won't come to Mohammed.....
Sometimes it's necessary to pack out the chrome rail that holds the rubber with bits of inner tube, thereby bringing the rubber to the glass instead of the glass to the rubber.
(and this is why I tell customers that it can be up to 8 hours work to adjust a door glass).

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 16:21:41 »
I'm no expert on soft tops but it kind of sounds like your frame is adjusted back too far. All of this stuff needs to be adjusted before the top is put on so I can't say if you can do much about it now.

I had a car in once and while one side fit perfectly other side was hopeless. After I measured the door openings on each side of the car I discovered that one side was close to 15 mm wider than the other. Nothing I could do with it.  Check to see if the door openings on your car are within spec. If it's never been hit or messed with then it's more likely to be the soft top frame. There's a fair amount of adjustment available on the frame and where it mounts to the body of the car.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 19:21:35 »
Stick and the Dr, thanks for your comments - sorry, I should have mentioned that I have the hard top on _ I remember reading somewhere that the glass should be adjusted to suit the hardtop, then the soft top adjusted to fit the glass.
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 19:39:32 »
I have found that adjusting the two stops on the regulator that make contact at the top of the door frame can help with tilted glass. Especially if the regulator has not been rebuilt. You want the rear stop to make contact first and the front stop to follow.This pivots the window clockwise (Dr side standing outside looking at glass) As with any window adjustment it takes trial and error. As above assuming there are no structural issues such as a bent A pillar.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 15:30:49 »
I remember reading somewhere that the glass should be adjusted to suit the hardtop, then the soft top adjusted to fit the glass.

Correct.