Author Topic: Restoration  (Read 6860 times)

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
Re: Restoration
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2019, 11:50:11 »
Are the AJ lights interchangeable from left to right and right to left?
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2019, 14:16:45 »
Yes, the US lights are interchangeable.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2019, 14:22:14 »
Ireppond, did you happen to see Jonny B’s post showing someone selling an “AN” headlight door on Ebay?  https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=29623.0
Looks like its still available. Definitely ask the seller for more detailed photos. Especially of the upper plastic ring.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-280-SL-Headlight-Door-US-Style-Also-for-230-250-SL/283596106341?hash=item4207a52a65:g:uRcAAOSwJ9RdITcH
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 14:32:06 by Tyler S. »
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2019, 14:57:45 »
...Two things I’d like to replace on my car are one head light door (AN headlight) and an OEM locking gas cap.  Both are so astronomically expensive that it’s rather comical...

Funny thing about parts prices. They are not going down. Oh, some mechanical parts that are routine maintenance items such as brake pads, etc. are reasonable and there are plenty of aftermarket versions available, but the proprietary parts are high and getting higher. So the bottom line is, if you want or need some proprietary part, don't stand around griping about the astronomical price, because while you do that it's going up.

I offer my own story of the [in]famous grill star and barrel. At the time I needed one in my restoration they were priced [new] somewhere near $250 or so, and I thought that to be high. So, my restorer found a used one somewhere for $75. The used one was good; not perfect, but it polished nicely. There was one bit of flaked off chrome on it noticable only to me. Meanwhile the prices of new ones kept going up and up and up. But, with the rest of my car having all freshly chromed or new trim, this star bothered me to no end. Lo and behold some member here lost to memory sent me a PM and offered me a NIB/NOS grill star and barrel for $300. I thought that was good, since the new ones from MB had now gone to over $350. So I bought it. In the time it took to get it, and install it a year later (yeah I don't move fast on some of this stuff) prices had risen again. I made the swap and received about what I paid for the new one, for the used on eBay!  Meanwhile, back here a few years later the prices had risen to over $500 and those who needed this part were holding off on buying one, complaining about the price (as if magically it would go down).

Well the last time I broached the subject, Tom Hanson of the Classic Center told me that the last new one they sold was over $2,000 before they went NLA. I would like to think they will be made available again because they are fragile and they are proprietary, but I can assure you they won't be cheap! When I commenced my restoration in 1999, the Pagoda was just transitioning from an old car to a worthy collectible, so many parts were still reasonable. Nonetheless, it still took over 1,000 hours, not including sublet work such as brake restoration, plating, etc. There were tens of thousands of dollars of parts, at 1999-2001 prices. Labor was $45/hour. As they say, do the math...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2019, 01:23:37 »
Len,
I am looking forward to seeing how far you will go with your car.  The  advice I would ad it to take lots of pictures and  throw nothing away.  The smallest things like original hose clamps or original Beru spark plug wires can be very hard to find if not impossible.  Even if you decide you don’t want to restore it now you may change your mind someday.

wwpepper

• Junior Level
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2019, 02:05:17 »
lreppond, there may be a middle ground. Get it mechanically sound then drive it for a season with the lousy interior and paint. Then mercilessly nit pick it mechanically and fix anything and everything you or a mechanic can find that needs fixed.  Fix the seat so it is safe to drive. If you still find that driving and owning the car is a pleasure to you, then consider upgrading the interior and paint. This would be the time for a proper repair of any rust anywhere. Then  get a good quality paint job in the original color with as little masking off as possible, i.e remove handles, headlights, maybe windshield, etc.   Replace rotten weatherstrip everywhere too.  Then go to the interior, seats, carpet, etc. Manually clean up the engine bay, but do not pull the motor to paint there.
You can end up with a driver++  car that is reliable and good looking, but not show quality. If after a few years if you want to take it to the next level, then you can. But my guess is that you will enjoy it more as a car you can drive.  Yes, you will still worry about it sitting in a parking space, but you will not suffer in agony should a rock chip or garage scratch appear. 

mercakungen

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • Finland, Central Finland, Porvoo
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2019, 08:48:10 »
When I bought my Pagoda in autumn 2008 the grille star was broken. I was a quite shocked when I heard the price which was 785 eur! I wasted a few months by thinking what to do. That was a mistake. Year 2009 came and the new price was 840 eur! I bought the star (and barrel) despite it did hurt. Today the price is 2711 eur on MB Classic center...

BR,
Matti
-70 280SL
-57 Continental MK II
-70 Plymouth AAR Cuda
ex:
-61 220SEb Coupe "Kompressor"
-61 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe
-53 VW T1 "Zwitter"

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2019, 15:59:34 »
...was a quite shocked when I heard the price which was 785 eur...wasted a few months...That was a mistake...new price was 840 eur! I bought the star (and barrel) despite it did hurt. Today the price is 2711 eur on MB Classic center...

Q.E.D. "Quod Erat Demonstrandum"
Yep, shoulda done it at the first price quote!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2019, 16:13:08 »
Hey Bill.  Good to see you on here.

I can't be in Charleston for the October event, as I will be out in San Diego with the rest of the Pagoda Gang.  Might try to Have somebody from our local MBCA which covers Charleston Show.

Best,

Mike Mizesko
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive