Author Topic: Window Cranks & Padded Inserts  (Read 2054 times)

mBdrvr

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Bethlehem
Window Cranks & Padded Inserts
« on: August 01, 2019, 21:58:06 »
I recently obtained a set of "Service Information" binders containing the technical service bulletins issued by Mercedes from 60's and 70's. There is a wealth of information here. An interesting item is one concerning "Window Cranks & Padded Inserts" although its not for W113 or W111 models.

I bought replacement cranks and pads from the Classic Center a few years ago and found that the cranks did not fit my '66 250 SE and the pads did not fit the old cranks. I made due with my old ones. The attached TSB explains how to adapt the new ones for an older car. I assume that Pagodas of the same vintage have a similar problem.

I also have a multi volume set of "Mercedes Tool" catalogs. All very interesting reading.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 22:03:03 by mBdrvr »
Paul Greenblatt
'70 280 SL
'66 250 SE Cabrio
'60 190 SL

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: Window Cranks & Padded Inserts
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 13:33:03 »
That's interesting.  I had no idea that they actually expected modifications to the parts to do that.  They don't mention the small-knob version of the crank, which is essentially the same as the early version big knob version.

FWIW, I have a good supply of all 3 kinds of cranks and insert pads in a variety of colors for different cranks.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 13:39:38 »
Quote from: mBdrvr
.../...The attached TSB explains how to adapt the new ones for an older car.../...
Much useful indeed  :) (like Scott writes).
I have not seen this window crank mod mentioned before. The knob tends to get wobbly with time, hard (impossible?) to fix and the supply of the older type crank is dimnishing...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 14:50:33 by mbzse »
/Hans S

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 14:01:20 »
... and the supply of the older type crank is dimnishing...
I'm glad I was hoarding them for years at junkyards back when cars were available...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 22:55:34 »
Congratulations on your acquisition.  By any chance does one or more of the binders cover the option codes (SA codes) used by Mercedes-Benz to describe their various factory options.  Through a Service Information bulletin dated February, 1958, M-B announced its intention to issue a series of advisories entitled, "Special Designs and Extras" which would explain the many options indexed by option number.  I am attempting to compile a list of these codes as they relate to the 300 SL and would appreciate any assistance your books might provide.  Ed Boyd  ejb@elilaw.net 

mBdrvr

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Bethlehem
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 15:03:23 »
I checked through them but there are no "Special Designs and Extras" pages in the books I have.

Paul
Paul Greenblatt
'70 280 SL
'66 250 SE Cabrio
'60 190 SL

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 20:06:12 »
Thanks for checking.  I will keep looking.