Author Topic: VIN on these cars?  (Read 1961 times)

RauchenTyre

VIN on these cars?
« on: July 30, 2019, 18:58:00 »
I'm embarrassed to ask this, but how do I search the car history using the "VIN" from these cars? I have only seen 14 digit serial numbers that the online VIN decoders won't accept. Is there an alternate method to look up the car's history?

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Re: VIN on these cars?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 21:28:45 »
You can find lots here on the site about the VIN etc. https://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/Start

If you own the car you may also want to get in touch with the Classic Center and purchase the data card (build sheet) for your car.  Cost now is $150 I understand.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 23:10:13 »
What "history" other than date produced and maybe original destination can you find from the VIN number?
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 00:27:38 »
He's probably trying to get a Car Fax or similar automated vehicle report.  That's fine for 1981 and later North American spec vehicles with universal 17 digit VINs, but those automated systems aren't configured for earlier, shorter, non-universal, non-North American spec VIN strings.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

RauchenTyre

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 20:17:51 »
Thanks all.

Mike is right - I was hoping to get a CarFax (or similar) report to understand where a prospective pagoda has been throughout its life (realizing decoder was the wrong word). I'm helping a friend buy one, and wanted to look at the history report since there aren't many maintenance records and the owner knows very little.

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 12:21:05 »
Tough one. Almost the only way to get good info about the history is trying to trace the previous owners. In my case, I have the original German title of the car that lists all owners from new.
I did quite some research with them before I came to the US and I have a pretty good history of my car.
Here in Ohio I have been lucky to have a friend who has connections to the BMV and he does title searches for me for a specific vehicle and I can get some info.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner