Author Topic: Just Purchased Dansk Reproduction Fuel Tank - Installation Questions  (Read 2965 times)

NoEcm

My fuel tank was questionable so I purchased a Dansk reproduction tank for $425.31 + $7.50 shipping.

Installation Questions for someone who has already installed one of these:

Since the reproduction tank does not have the in-tank filter can anyone recommend  and inline filter and how you mounted it?

Also, what did you use for the rubber pads that are glued to the top of the tank to keep it from hitting the bottom of the trunk?

Thanks!

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
We just stick foam rubber pads to the top of the tank in the same way as the factory did. The neck is often bent in transit but is easily bent back.
I think next time I do one of these I will change the fuel outlet pipe to a size that matches an in-line filter. I've spent too much time in the past trying to make adaptors for various different fuel hose sizes/fittings.

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
I also installed a Dansk tank in my 230SL.  I just noticed a few days ago that the drain plug (tank filter on a Mercedes tank) is smaller than the Mercedes filter fitting.  I noticed it because of a fuel smell.  I don't know if it was leaking or if it came from spillage during my first gas pump fill up.  All I know is that the plug was damp and smelled like gas. 

I wiped it off and it hasn't come back.  Is there a seal ring?  I can't find a part number on the internet.  My tank is full and I don't know what to do if starts leaking when the tank gets pressurized.  The cap is not a vented cap.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Re: Just Purchased Dansk Reproduction Fuel Tank - Installation Questions
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 23:07:29 »
I don't like to be left hanging, waiting for a thread to provide a solution so I decided to let those who are interested know about the leak I had from my Dansk fuel tank.

It was the fuel level sending unit gasket (cork) leaking at the top of the tank.  It was actually hissing and spraying around the edges, so I asked a mechanic I respect.  He suggested that cork is useless in this application unless everything else is perfect, including the vapor vents.

He said, "1.) Check the tank vent tubes to the vapor vent cannister, 2.) buy some Felpro Karropak and make my own gaskets, because It's supposed to be impervious to gasoline, and 3.) buy a tube of Permatex White High Temperature Thread Sealant and coat the gaskets and threads with it before installing the fuel level sending unit.  So I did all that, but I doubled the gaskets with the Permatex between them, to make them thicker like the cork was.

I discovered, "1.  One of the tank vent tubes to the vapor vent cannister was plugged solid with "who knows what?, probably fuel varnish or CAD plating flash," and had to be cleared with some galvanized steel wire as a flexible ram, 2.) the Felpro Karropak is expensive but it really is impervious to gasoline, and 3.) the Permatex White Thread Sealant is also impervious to gasoline and, with the cleared tube, completely stopped the leakage and the gasoline smell.

I hope this helps someone who might be worried about fuel leaks from a Dansk tank.

Tom Kizer

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 08:34:26 »
I replaced 2 or 3 cork seals for fuel level sender when I replaced it. The ones from MB were simply too thin and, uopn tightening of the sender, it settled on its "collar" against the tank, not fully compressing the cork. I bought oil/gas resistant cork 4mm thick and cut my own gasket - now it works.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 08:44:08 »
I also installed a Dansk tank in my 230SL.  I just noticed a few days ago that the drain plug (tank filter on a Mercedes tank) is smaller than the Mercedes filter fitting.  I noticed it because of a fuel smell.  I don't know if it was leaking or if it came from spillage during my first gas pump fill up.  All I know is that the plug was damp and smelled like gas. 

I wiped it off and it hasn't come back.  Is there a seal ring?  I can't find a part number on the internet.  My tank is full and I don't know what to do if starts leaking when the tank gets pressurized.  The cap is not a vented cap.

Tom Kizer

Tom, if you mean the fuel screen in the bottom of the tank, yes, there is a seal ring, PN  A 110 997 10 41, replaced by A 110 997 01 45. When you buy the filter from MB (PN A 111 470 06 86), the seal ring is part of the kit.

You have to empty the tank to install it, I am afraid. You have it newly installed, so it would be easy. Sometimes the difficulty is to unscrew this screen (27mm allen, if I remember correctly, but check me) when it is stuck.

I do not suppose that there is huge pressure in the tank as it is vented (not through cap) so I think there is some pressure build up (fumes) but I think not huge.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 08:50:44 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 12:58:44 »
The M-B seal at the bottom of the tank doesn't fit the Dansk tank.  My problem was at the fuel level sending unit at the top.  That's where all my work was done.  One of my vent tubes was plugged solid.  That's where the pressure came from.

Tom

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 19:16:04 »
ok, I see now.
I wold ask manufacturer as supplier may or may not have a clue about what should go there.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

SilverSpear

• Senior
  • Saudi Arabia, Ar Riyāḑ, Riyadh
Hello guys, sorry for reviving this old thread.

I noticed recently a fuel tank manufactured by JP Group.
Is it the same as the Dansk tank? (if anyone knows).

Thanks
Early 67 Pagoda 250SL - Under comprehensive restoration

Koenp

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Belgium, Flanders, Brasschaat
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 07:42:08 »
Good question on the JP group tank. I recently found it also as an option for replacement, but the information was so limited... Does someone knows if it fits well and if this is really the replacement for the original one?