Author Topic: Question on Mounting Alternator and other mystery bolts  (Read 1393 times)

pauldridge

During reassembly of my long-dormant 280 engine, I'm stumped as to how/where the adjusting bracket for the alternator should be attached.  I have the alternator and mount attached to the block, but that adjustment bracket just doesn't seem to have any place to attach to the block.  Am I missing an intermediate piece?  Guidance or photos of a similar installation would be appreciated.

Also, the third picture depicts 2 bolts on the head that I'm not sure of the purpose.. the longer one goes through the bracket that supports all the injector lines, etc on the front of the engine.. perhaps this is the wrong bolt for this?
The shorter bolt, just in between the external banjo tubing, seems like it should be securing some component?

Help, please!
Phil, Austin, TX

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

pauldridge

Re: Question on Mounting Alternator and other mystery bolts
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 00:27:56 »
Thanks Pawel.very helpful
Phil

clunker

• Regular
  • USA, NJ, Chatham
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 02:40:47 »
"Also, the third picture depicts 2 bolts on the head that I'm not sure of the purpose.. the longer one goes through the bracket that supports all the injector lines, etc on the front of the engine.. perhaps this is the wrong bolt for this?"

Regarding the longer bolt you show sticking out of the head: you must have the correct bolt for this - be careful. As indeed Pawel has redirected you to previous posts, this particular bolt hole contains (further inside the hole) the pivot pin for the timing chain tensioner - using too long a bolt there will damage this. [The pivot pin is extracted (if needed) by threading in an M6 (I think) bolt into that hole and pulling it out - only as part of head/chain disassembly! - search forums].

The other bolt is unused except for when AC bracket installed.

Charles
1969 US 280SL 4-speed Red/Black
DB9 / 981 S / G300 SWB / CB750 / etc

pauldridge

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 13:29:12 »
Thanks Charles,
Perfect, and clears it up for me.
Phil