Author Topic: Hardtop Noise --can't figure out  (Read 2080 times)

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
Hardtop Noise --can't figure out
« on: July 03, 2019, 17:30:31 »
I am getting a strange noise from the front right passenger side corner of my hardtop and can not figure out what it is
I re chromed part #60 and #70  both left and right and replaced the seal (MB original)

There is no air coming through as one would think.  It actually sounds like air is hitting outside this area .
When driving at high speed there is no sound coming from the left corner--only the right---
Could it be coming from where #10 and #60 meet?  Is there a caulking of some type that goes there?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards to all
Steven
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

wayne R

Re: Hardtop Noise --can't figure out
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 03:48:28 »
Steven, try and help ,Get   inch and half, or two inch roll masking tape
then tape a piece along where you think it is comoing in on that corner, then take tape with you,
for road test, you will find the problem  culprit some where by doing this, after placing tape in
different positions.
Yes when placing  chrome mouldings on to cars ,together or on body panels,it is best to use
a  non hardning, non skinning sealant, General motors used this on all there cars in the sixtys, not sure if they still do,
did this myself years ago when restoring many cars, but when applying, only require a small 1/8 bead, not the
whole area. This also helps  prevent rust  and corrosion between the  two items.
I think Selleys now make  one called N Mastic Sealant,sold at local Home depot,  non skinning, non hardening,
permantly flexible.---regards.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 09:51:55 by wayne R »

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 16:23:18 »
Wayne,
Thank you for the advice but I am not clear on something.
What will the masking tape show? What should I be looking for?
Regards
Steven
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

wayne R

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 08:43:22 »
Steven  sorry about that ,  no,the tape shows nothing,use any tape,its use while testing,
is to stop  air  and force of  cavitation entering  the area causing the noise, i suspect
it may be where you placed the  2 pieces you had chromed, even if air is not entering
into your car, air hitting a particular area, can cause strange  noises between metals,
like a whistle.
On our Pogodas there is a  small right angle trap about 1/4 inch at front lip hanging over
where this could happen if not  sealed properly.
General Motors  down under had problems with Holdens in late eightys, just like this
on front windscreens.    regards.

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 15:49:53 »
Wayne,
I am still not clear.  Are you saying I should place tape between the 2 pieces of chrome where they meet?
Steven
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

wayne R

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 14:56:05 »
No ,You  are getting a strange noise from front right while driving,
Thats what the tape is for, before driving, place a piece of the tape
over that particular corner area,before driving,then go test drive car
and see if it still makes the strange noise, if the noise is still there, stop move tape
to different area, then test drive again, until you find and elininate where the wind
is hitting  to make the  strange noise.

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 16:29:06 »
Understood...I will give it a try
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex