Author Topic: 1966. SL. Front crash damage  (Read 3810 times)

Hollson

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Naples
1966. SL. Front crash damage
« on: June 19, 2019, 15:47:53 »
I live in Naples fl

Someone reversed into my SL  Front end is pretty badly damaged , grill, font apron , hood etc

Anyone have any ideas where I can take it for repairs.   Needs a lot of metal work and paint

Appreciate any help

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: 1966. SL. Front crash damage
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 16:22:44 »
I do hope they didn't drive away!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Hollson

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Naples
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 17:48:23 »
Nope.  I was sitationary sitting at an intersection.  Then for no reason the lady in front just put it in reverse and hit the gas.  Straight into me.  She admitted fault to me and the sheriff.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 20:39:39 »
It's 200 miles from you but the body shop associated with Classic Corvettes and Collectibles in Tarpon Springs, is Concours level.  Otherwise, I'd talk to the M-B dealer there in Naples and have a look at their work.  In Florida, if the other party is at fault and her insurance is covering it, you can to take it anywhere you choose.  Don't let her insurance company tell you any differently.  If you want a complete re-spray, you can choose a shop that will separate the jobs and charge you only for painting the rest of the car.  The insurance company probably has a contract with a few collision repair shops where turnaround is the most important consideration.  Those shops will not touch anything except the actual damage.  They will not do a complete re-spray.  You're the injured party, if the insurance company gives you any static, call the Insurance Commissioner's office.  Be pleasant but don't be afraid to play hardball.  You'll regret not getting it done right.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 23:54:02 »
I thought you had a "no fault" system in Florida??? How does that work in a case like this?
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Kleine

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Palo Alto
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 00:08:21 »
Hollson,

Very sorry to hear about the damage to your car.  It must have been hit hard based on your damage description.  I can't offer any suggestions on where to take your car
on the East Coast, but please have a competent frame repair shop look at the car and determine if your frame rails are bent.  My car ( 230 SL ) was hit in the nose and repaired by a previous owner only for me to find out several years later that both frame rails were slightly bent and the hood latch pushed into the firewall slightly affecting the hood gap.  The solution was to remove the engine/trans, strip the front end, and put the car on a Celette frame bench with the alignment gigs for a 230 SL and straighten each frame rail to the correct position.  Mercedes no longer supplies frame rails as a replacement part so unless they are cut from a donor car you pretty much have to deal with the ones in the car.   Hopefully your frame rails aren't bent and all you have to deal with is sheet metal repair.  If the frame rails are bent your steering geometry and alignment get screwed up...it is all a matter of degree and a competent frame repair shop would need to determine how to correct this.

Kleine

Joe
1966 230SL - 4 speed

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 01:01:26 »
Ouch.  I don't know who you have your insurance with but your insurance adjuster may know of some reputable body shops that can do the repairs, even if they are not in the area.  You may need to prod him or her.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 09:39:12 »
Celette frame bench with the alignment gigs for a 230 SL

I'd be interested to know which bodyshop that was. When I enquired with Celette here in Europe they told me that the jig brackets were not available so I had them made.

Hollson

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Naples
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 21:25:23 »
I’m insured through haherty.

They gave me 2 shops locally.  Both didn’t look too good.  When I told them what the car was they both refused to work on the car

I’ve spoken to palm beach classics.  Guy sounds very knowledgeable and I think I will take it over there

Thx for all the advice from everyone

Hollson

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Naples
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 21:26:25 »
Thx for the advice.    I totally agree

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 17:45:11 »
is your hood repairable even?

I hear aluminum very hard to repair.  May need to find a good used one.  Start shopping.  Sux is the VIN won't match.  :(

Got any pics? 

Poor thing.  Maybe also start looking for genuine, NOS parts.  $$$, but that's not your problem.

Hope the new shops can replicate any factory-looking spot welds.
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 23:31:05 »
I saw a used hood on the seattle craigslist - it looked to be very reasonable in terms of price.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/d/mercedes-280sl-aluminun-hood-fits-230sl/6916066678.html
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

MikeL43

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 19:41:02 »
Hollison,
I just had a very similar experience and had a stated value policy ($50,000) through USAA.  The damage didn't look all that bad but the hood, grille, bumper and fender were unbelievably expensive since I demanded original parts.  They offered to total the car which I refused.  I had the repairs done by a high end shop near me but it took 14 months due to lack of availability of original parts.  I am extremely happy with the results except for the possible diminished value issue and the loss of use for 14 months.  The guy I hit zipped across the road out of a McDonalds in front of a city bus in his F150 and of course he had the minimum of insurance and my attorney said forget about trying to get anything from him.  i live in Safety Harbor (next to Clearwater), Fl. and am about 150 miles from you.  It may be worth your while to call me to discuss this further since I have "been there, done that".  My phone number is 727-515-0753.