Author Topic: Wiring to injector pump  (Read 1430 times)

Rhinkel

Wiring to injector pump
« on: June 16, 2019, 18:57:31 »
Im helping an old friend in getting his 69 280 SL started after 20 years of storage. Lots to do, lots of questions. Thé injectors have been sonic cleaned, tank blasted inside and coated, fuel pump- tall one- cleaned, new fuel lines to install. Two weird items.

First, the electric connection to the solenoids in the back of the injector pump are disconnected. Why would someone do this? Second the booster looks like it was pried open and rebuilt but has a jury rigged looking fluid catcher installed? See pic? I’m guessing a new booster is probably in order? Gonna try to get it started soon.  Any idea on these “repars” will help lead me to maybe something that was going wrong. Also oil level is very high but not diluted with gas ??  Trans level is perfect. All fluids will be changed but there’s a reason it was put away 20 years ago. The owner has passed so can’t ask. Any hints appreciated.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Wiring to injector pump
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 05:16:38 »
Scary looking down into the open injection pump bores. You might want to blow any dirt out then cover the openings. The lower solenoid on the IP is often dis-connected. It is an emission control de-acceleration solenoid. The top solenoid should be connected as it is a starting device.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 12:37:07 »
Black wire with red tracer or stripe is fuel enrichment.  This should be on the top solenoid.   

Rhinkel

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 17:20:04 »
Thank you ! I’ll reconnect. Any thoughts on why the enrichment solenoid would be disconnected? Maybe it was running too rich?

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 00:51:17 »
I think the answer to that question will lead you to why it was taken off the road.  seems like someone may have been diagnosing an issue and just stopped.  The enrichment solenoid only operates during starting so if it isn't powered with the car running you should be ok there.

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 01:42:16 »
As Shvegel states the top solenoid only operates when activating the starter. I will add that it also includes at all temperatures.

However in my experience(at sea kevel) when the car is cold the rack in the IP is moved farther forward than the solenoid can reach which would suggest that the top solenoid only affects the rack when the car is warmer.  But then again, that might not be entirely true because at higher altitude the BC affects the rack also. 

My guess (and only a guess)is that the PO disconnected the top solenoid to solve warm starting issues. Maybe thought it was adding too much fuel when starting.

Search "warm starting problems" on this forum.  Much discussion over the years. 😁
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:14:21 by mrfatboy »
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Rhinkel

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 14:41:45 »
Thank you. I guess I’ll find out soon. Tank should be done soon and I’ll reinstall and fire up. Plugs are a bit sooty but dry. Oil level very high but not contaminated with gas ....